Dental costs.................

Options
Parisien
Parisien Posts: 930 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Anyone got up to-date costs for dental work in N Ireland ( NHS and private)?

ie...usual costs of........

x-ray

simple filling

crown....variety of materials

bridge work.........2/3 teeth

Partly because my mate was in Warsaw.....had to seek emergency weekend work on two teeth, she spent over an hour on him.........put his x-rays on a cd, grand total of...........£35!!!!!!!!

Comments

• Leothecat
    Leothecat Posts: 1,492 Forumite
    Options
    Funny you should post this cos I am particularly !!!!!! off today having been for a check up and paying £66. I got 2 xrays and a check up - no clean or anything else and I have to go back for a filling in a couple of weeks!!
    That's in Bangor by the way with a NHS dentist!! Is this not very expensive?? :confused:
  • Parisien
    Parisien Posts: 930 Forumite
    Options
    Sorry to hear that you were mugged orally, did you ask to see their price list/did they give you an estimate before you went in?

Why don't dentists, put their price lists up in the waiting area...or maybe some do.

Cost of a return flight to Warsaw, £60 ......maybe do some research, if you have ANYTHING extensive needing doing!

The Germans have been doing it for years.....to Hungary....using a firm called Dentours.

Next year we have to look forward to water rates......plus rates up ...50%...happy days!

How much are your wages going up next year by?.........:(
  • Teerah
    Teerah Posts: 1,794 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Leothecat wrote:
    Funny you should post this cos I am particularly !!!!!! off today having been for a check up and paying £66. I got 2 xrays and a check up - no clean or anything else and I have to go back for a filling in a couple of weeks!!
    That's in Bangor by the way with a NHS dentist!! Is this not very expensive?? :confused:

Your dentist may very well provide NHS treatment but that is not what they provided for you. Those are private fees you have paid. Ask your dentist when you go back for a filling. They have to make you aware if they are providing you with NHS or private treatment and you should get a treatment estimate also.
  • Teerah
    Options
    Parisien wrote:
    Anyone got up to-date costs for dental work in N Ireland ( NHS and private)?

ie...usual costs of........

x-ray

simple filling

crown....variety of materials

bridge work.........2/3 teeth

Partly because my mate was in Warsaw.....had to seek emergency weekend work on two teeth, she spent over an hour on him.........put his x-rays on a cd, grand total of...........£35!!!!!!!!

Private : obviously varies from practice to practice.

NHS : for example
    1 small xray: patient charge is £2.96
    1 small amalgam filling: £6.40
    1 small white filling (front teeth only) :£12.08
    1 gold coloured crown: £88.80
    1 porcelain and metal crown :£100.96
    Bridgework varies depending on bridge type, for two unit
    bridge :£157.68
    1 extraction: £10.76

There are numerous individual items though so I have only posted a few common ones.

Not exactly break the bank prices and NHS still readily available over here. New contract looms ahead for us too though.
  • belfastgal
    belfastgal Posts: 594 Forumite
    Options
    i had no idea there were different prices at the dentist - as in nhs or private.sometimes your bill is exortionate.they should display their prices.i thought nhs prices were for people on benefits or do they not pay for their treatment- how would you find out which you are private or nhs.is it the actual dentist who is private or nhs ?
  • Teerah
    Options
    belfastgal wrote:
    i had no idea there were different prices at the dentist - as in nhs or private.sometimes your bill is exortionate.they should display their prices.i thought nhs prices were for people on benefits or do they not pay for their treatment- how would you find out which you are private or nhs.is it the actual dentist who is private or nhs ?

NHS is readily available most places in Northern Ireland though more practices are becoming private these days. But no, you do not have to be on benefits to get NHS treatment but you may be entitled to free dental treatment if you are. Just ask at the practice whether you are being treated on the NHS or privately although NHS prices are far from extortionate. Yes it is usually the dentist who will be private or NHS although some will do a mix of both, this should be made clear to you though as it is a breach in terms of service not to. Some practices will be completely NHS, some completely private and some mixed. As I said before you should get a breakdown of treatment costs when you go as well.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure