PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

How to stop socks 'moulting'...?

Hi all

Strange title I know, but I have a small problem at home. It's my boyfriend's socks, every time he wears them without shoes in the house little bits of the wool on the sock come off and I'm left with black fluff all over my previously clean carpet - it's like the socks are moulting ! Granted, they're not expensive socks but I'm starting to get tired of having to hoover all the time, does anyone have any ideas on how I can stop this happening?

Thanks Siren1

Comments

• Tumble dryer? It normally gets rid of the loose 'lint' that's on any fabric
    To love and be loved is the greatest happiness of existance - Sydney Smith
  • tori.k
    tori.k Posts: 3,592 Forumite
    I have this problem as i tend to buy the kids cheap Asda socks, i did find it helped a bit if i washed them from new inside out and tumbled dryed them,
  • Siren1
    Siren1 Posts: 161 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Tumble dryer? It normally gets rid of the loose 'lint' that's on any fabric

I do tumble dry them already, and while some of the lint does come off in the dryer, he's still walking around littering my clean carpet with 'fluff' from his socks...
  • Siren1
    tori.k wrote: »
    I have this problem as i tend to buy the kids cheap Asda socks, i did find it helped a bit if i washed them from new inside out and tumbled dryed them,

I have never intentionally washed them inside out, whichever way they go in the laundry basket is the way they go in the washer, and subsequently the dryer BUT I will give your idea a go and see how I get on - thank you !!
  • Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,620 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    I've got this problem too. Bought a 6-pack of cheap black socks from Matalan and the cream carpet in our bedroom where I wander around without shoes is absolutely covered in little black bobbles.
    When I was previously "borrowing" my husband's black socks from M & S, I never suffered this problem so perhaps it's the low quality of the product, in which case it's either a matter of buying more expensive socks or get down on our hands and knees with a damp cloth every day to mop up the bobbles.
  • valk_scot
    valk_scot Posts: 5,290 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Slippers? Or he could take his socks off at the same time as his shoes. Men look pretty unappealing in socks, especially if they're black ones.

If he needs a bit of motivation with this, hand him the hoover.
    Val.
  • Bronnie
    Bronnie Posts: 4,165 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I got a 6 pair pack of next black socks to wear for work. Nice quality socks too. They don't shed inside my pink slippers but they moult from the inside and when I step in the shower at night, there's lots of these fluffy black bits stuck to the soles of my feet. I've been wearing them and washing them since Xmas too. Must turn them all inside out next time I was them. Very annoying
  • Siren1
    Primrose wrote: »
    I've got this problem too. Bought a 6-pack of cheap black socks from Matalan and the cream carpet in our bedroom where I wander around without shoes is absolutely covered in little black bobbles.
    When I was previously "borrowing" my husband's black socks from M & S, I never suffered this problem so perhaps it's the low quality of the product, in which case it's either a matter of buying more expensive socks or get down on our hands and knees with a damp cloth every day to mop up the bobbles.

Hi Primrose

Looks liek we bought the same socks !! Although he does have socks from Next too, which you would expect to be good quality and this happens with them also. I am going to make him wear blue coloured socks, at least it will match the carpet and not be so noticeable !! Ha ha....
  • Siren1
    valk_scot wrote: »
    Slippers? Or he could take his socks off at the same time as his shoes. Men look pretty unappealing in socks, especially if they're black ones.

If he needs a bit of motivation with this, hand him the hoover.

Hi

He won't wear slippers, says they're for old ladies, even though I'm only 36 and I wear them, and he does take his socks off att he same time as his shoes. So he gets the fluff in his shoes too and it's walked all over my carpet and floors.

If I handed him the hoover I'd have to go into great detail and explain what it was, what's it used for, and how to use it... I'm afraid I don't have that much spare time :)
  • I've got a gorgeous wool jumper that I love except that it moults everywhere! I've washed it maybe 3 times since I got it as per the washing instructions but if anything it's getting worse!

Anyone know of anything that might help??
    Mortgage£148,725 Student loan£13,050 HSBC loan£12,221
    AprGC:£/£320
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family