Low energy GU10 bulbs

Hi guys,
I know there has been threads about this in the past, I am just looking for a more informed opinion on these bulbs(I need 60)
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/10-GU10-11W-2700k-WARM-WHITE-HALOGEN-50W-REPLACEMENT_W0QQitemZ280441648416QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Light_Bulbs?hash=item414b9ff520

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Mcfi5dhc
    Mcfi5dhc Posts: 323 Forumite
    I have a couple of those exact bulbs. They look bright enough if you look at the bulb when lit, but they don't have a great deal of strength further away.

The are also very directional, so if a normal bulb emits light down and out like this /*\, these ones are more like |*| (or even \*/ to an extreme). You may find (like me) they stick out of the fittings. I'm not personally bothered by this, but some people are.

If I were you, I'd buy one first and try it out, before committing yourself to £200+. Again, if I were you, I'd use these energy savers for feature lights, but anywhere where you need the light to work well, maybe consider changing the fittings and get another type of bulb.

I wouldn't even consider LEDs. Rubbish horrible light, no where near enough power in them.
  • decsdad
    decsdad Posts: 265 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Thanks for taking the time to reply,
    I know what you mean about them sticking out a bit, I am currently using the even longer ones, 74mm, in the kitchen, which stick out quite a bit, and my wife isn't overly pleased shall we say, with the aesthetics. So I thought these ones would be almost flush ?

Regarding the amount of light/directionality, I was hoping that wouldn't be too much of a problem as I think we have quite a lot of lights for the room size(12 where 9 would be fine) if that makes sense.

In our lounge right now we have 12 led's, little bit blue, little bit dull, but we only use the room for a couple of hours in the evening with the tv on.

What is the warm up time like with these bulbs, as we would be using them in bathrooms and halls also, where they may only be coming on for a minute ?
  • Mcfi5dhc
    Mcfi5dhc Posts: 323 Forumite
    decsdad wrote: »
    Thanks for taking the time to reply
    No problem
    decsdad wrote: »
    What is the warm up time like with these bulbs, as we would be using them in bathrooms and halls also, where they may only be coming on for a minute ?
    About 30 seconds to warm up, maybe a little bit more. We have ours in the bathroom, we were going to get 5 for the bathroom (out of 5), but now I'm glad I only got two (and will stick with 2)

Rather than ebay though, I would definitely go to a local electrical shop (not Asda, B&Q, Currys - they won't have a clue) - just get one, maybe two - you could maybe try a few different ones???
  • deano72_2
    deano72_2 Posts: 786 Forumite
    i have them fitted in my lounge 11w megaman (from electrical holesaler) just as bright as the 50w gu10 i had before.bit pricey i spose at £11 a pop
    ps just remebered mine are the dimmable type so none dimable will be cheaper
  • decsdad
    decsdad Posts: 265 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Well I've ordered one to see what its like, and where would be suitable for its use.
  • Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I have 35W GU10 Xenons in my hall, not as low energy as the CFLs but far better looking and a crisp bright light.
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • JennyR68
    JennyR68 Posts: 416 Forumite
    deano72 wrote: »
    i have them fitted in my lounge 11w megaman (from electrical holesaler) just as bright as the 50w gu10 i had before.bit pricey i spose at £11 a pop
    ps just remebered mine are the dimmable type so none dimable will be cheaper

The Megaman are the best you can get I believe, they have a life of 15000 hours compared to 8000 of others and are A rated. Might appear dear to start with but with the longer life and better energy savings probably work out cheaper than the cheaper ones.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure