We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Can I re-freeze stock?

Last night I took out what I thought was hm chicken soup for lunch today but now that is is defrosted I can see that it is actually stock! Can I re-freeze it or not? I was going to have a pasta bake for dinner tonight with left over cooked pork but now wondering whether I could do something with the pork and the stock instead, if I cannot re-freeze it?
Grocery aim £450pm.Spent £519 August, £584 July, £544 June, £541 May, £549 April, £517 March, £517 Feb,£555 Jan, £573 Dec, £465Nov, £561Oct, £493Sept, £426Aug,£496 Jul, £528Jun, £506May,£498April, £558 March, £500Feb, £500 Jan, £490 Dec, £555 Nov,£566 Oct, £505Sept, £450Aug, £410 July, £437 June, £491 May, £471 April, £440 March, £552Feb, £462Jan

Comments

  • CCP
    CCP Posts: 5,062 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Technically you probably shouldn't, in the same way you shouldn't refreeze any previously frozen meat product. However, I've often frozen soup made from previously frozen stock (does that make sense?), and that seems to be OK.

    I think that's what I'd recommend - turn the stock into soup, or make something with your pork, then refreeze that if necessary. As long as the stock has been brought to boiling point you should be safe enough (it hasn't yet done me any harm, anyway!)
    Back after a very long break!
  • easy
    easy Posts: 2,534 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Boil it up, then when it's cooled re-freeze it.
    I try not to get too stressed out on the forum. I won't argue, i'll just leave a thread if you don't like what I say. :)
  • CCP wrote: »
    Technically you probably shouldn't, in the same way you shouldn't refreeze any previously frozen meat product. However, I've often frozen soup made from previously frozen stock (does that make sense?), and that seems to be OK.
    I do that all the time.
  • jexygirl
    jexygirl Posts: 753 Forumite
    I often freeze stock, defrost it to batch make gravy then re freeze the gravy, so I guess thats like boiling it up and re freezing, so I personally would re freeze it after boiling.
    Jex
    Savvy_Sue wrote: »
    I will pay jexygirl the compliment of saying that she invariably writes a lot of sense!
    and she finally worked out after 4 months, how to make that quote her sig! :rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.