We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

ECO-BLING Home Turbines and Solar

Options

Comments

• choille
    choille Posts: 9,710 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    There is a lot of so called eco bling - I suppose.

In Scotland the Building regs are such that new build has to have so much insulation that they are warm houses & need much less heating - same with new build extensions. Possibly the same for England?
    Of course we also have hydro electric here.

People do have personal choices about what type of energy & how much they use. If someone chooses to stick a turbine on their roof, then unless it doesn't comply with planning then there is little that anyone can do about that.
    I think that most people are driven by costs & most sane people will attempt to cut their energy consumption, especially now that energy prices are costly.

I have lived in a house that was powered by a huge turbine - no mains where I used to live. It was expensive & no way did it ever save any money - but it was crucial because of where we lived.
    Now I am on a restricted mains supply & when the house is up it will be powered (inpart) by a home made micro-hydro system, but that is because we can, have a water fall on the croft.
    I do think that a lot of 'green stuff' is a fad for some & yes - possibly 'green bling' is a good phrase, but there are many people about that are commited to reducing their carbon foot-print in the whole of their life style. Actually don't have a big carbon footprint. And a lot of that doesn't involve buying a gadget/object - quite the opposite in fact. It involves not buying, not consuming.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport