MSE News: Last chance for online self assessment taxpayers

Options
Former_MSE_Guy
Former_MSE_Guy Posts: 1,650 Forumite
I've been Money Tipped! Newshound! Chutzpah Haggler
edited 20 January 2010 at 1:05PM in Cutting tax
This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"Anyone due to file an online self assessment tax return at the end of this month who's not yet registered their details should act immediately or risk a penalty ..."

Read the full stories:
Last chance for online self assessment taxpayers
and
OfficialStamp.gif

Comments

• number9
    number9 Posts: 173 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Please note that HMRC are unable to confirm your UTR over the phone. They can only post it to you in a letter for security reasons. If you need your UTR examine all your tax documents/correspondence first.
  • kunekune
    kunekune Posts: 1,909 Forumite
    Options
    Now I am confused and worried. All the info on the site assumes that the taxpayer has been sent a self-assessment form, but I haven't, as it is the first time I've had income not taxed at source. I thought I could send in a paper form plus a cheque. Obviously, this was a big mistake, but since I have no UTR I don't quite see how I can fix it. I tried to register last year to pay tax online, but realised rather late in the process that I didn't have any liability for that year. But that was just as well, because I completely failed to get the system working.
    Mortgage started on 22.5.09 : £129,600
    Overpayments to date: £3000
    June grocery challenge: 400/600
  • TM1976
    TM1976 Posts: 717 Forumite
    Options
    You need to phone up and ask for a UTR, they send this by post. Once you have this and register for SA online you have to wait for another passcode to be sent to you by mail which takes another few days so if you need to do this you should do it ASAP.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure