more pensions headaches

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

sorry just had to get that out of my system.

am currently trying to transfer in benefits from 3 different FS public sector schemes to my new FS scheme (Teachers Pension Scheme TPS)

Previous schemes were as follows

USS - got transfer value, proceeding fine.

Civil Service - as above until today - see below.

LGPS - rang them today. Gets complicated now.

Two years ago my team was transferred (under TUPE) from one employer with Civil Service pension to another with LGPS. I thought my previous pension with Civil Service was just left there unless I opted to transfer it into the new scheme.

LGPS told me today that the transfer of my team was what they call a "bulk transfer" and that I had no option but for my Civil Service pension rights to be transferred into LGPS. however they have not been able to reconcile the differences between the two schemes to offer the same rights in LGPS as we had in the Civil Service scheme so the transfer has not happened! after 2 and a half years!

in the meantime I have got another job!

therefore they havent given me a transfer quote yet and seem to think that I shouldnt be able to transfer my civil service scheme benefits directly into my new scheme.

this really pees me off, at this rate I wil lhave retired before this is sorted out.

Comments

• Debt_Free_Chick
    Debt_Free_Chick Posts: 13,276 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    clairehi wrote:
    LGPS told me today that the transfer of my team was what they call a "bulk transfer" and that I had no option but for my Civil Service pension rights to be transferred into LGPS. however they have not been able to reconcile the differences between the two schemes to offer the same rights in LGPS as we had in the Civil Service scheme so the transfer has not happened! after 2 and a half years!

It sounds as though this transfer will give you "like for like" so it would pay you to wait for this transfer to go through first.
    Warning ..... I'm a peri-menopausal axe-wielding maniac ;)
  • clairehi
    clairehi Posts: 1,352 Forumite
    update- they rang me today to say that it is sorted. I think they realised that there would be no point in transferring in benefits just to transfer them out again.

they will give the new scheme a transfer out value for my LGPS benefits as soon as possible. phew.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure