Fillings for Sponge Cake

Linda32
Linda32 Forumite Posts: 4,385
Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
Forumite
Hi,

I'm slowly getting into cooking from scratch, I do a few things OS but not this. :o

We don't eat many cakes but I do have to buy them when OH Mum and Dad come over on alternate Thursdays, and as you know shop bought cakes are expensive :eek:

I've just been reading on here a "basic cake" which I would possibly make into to round 7" cakes.

I need filling idea's though, the reason and most important, they can't contain any milk in any forms :eek:

For the basic cake mix I can use Vitalite instead of marg.

Comments

• rchddap1
    rchddap1 Forumite Posts: 5,926 Forumite
    Usually I sling it full of butter cream....but in this case...

How about Jam, with perhaps a few fresh strawberries if the cake is going to be eaten quickly.

One other thing I do now and then is to make a lemon drizzle cake. Just a spong cake (thicker is better). You then get some lemon juice and bung in loads of caster sugar. As soon as the cake is out of the oven get it out the tin carefully, and put the lemon sugar mixture on the top of the cake. The lemon will soak into the cake, and the sugar will form a hard crust on top. Something my mum use to do that I love.
    Baby Year 1: Oh dear...on the move

Lily contracted Strep B Meningitis Dec 2006 :eek: Now seemingly a normal little monster. :beer:
    Love to my two angels that I will never forget.
  • Linda32
    Linda32 Forumite Posts: 4,385
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I like the sound of both of those, thanks.

I've thought of another one, not sure if it would work though. If I put the basic mix in cake cases, these a Green and Blacks Choc that can be used, if I melt this, could I dripple that over the top, would it still set. It has a very high cocco content and no milk.
  • Debt_Free_Chick
    Debt_Free_Chick Forumite Posts: 13,276
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    rchddap1 wrote:
    Usually I sling it full of butter cream....but in this case...

A good margarine & icing sugar could work ......

I'm really struggling for other suggestions, as we are dairy monsters in our house:eek:
    Warning ..... I'm a peri-menopausal axe-wielding maniac ;)
  • Rikki
    Rikki Forumite Posts: 21,625 Forumite
    A good margarine & icing sugar could work ......

I'm really struggling for other suggestions, as we are dairy monsters in our house:eek:

You could use the cream and Jam. Victoria Sponge.
    £2 Coins Savings Club 2012 is £4 :).............................NCFC member No: 00005.........

......................................................................TCNC member No: 00008
    NPFM 21
  • lewt
    lewt Forumite Posts: 9,158
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    cream and black cherrys for me. or chocalate....
    If i upset you don't stress, never forget that god aint finished with me yet.
  • pol
    pol Forumite Posts: 643
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Why not brush with apricot jam and fill with pureed apples (or a tin of apple filling), or other fruit. Or how about lemon curd in the middle and icing sugar mixed with lemon juice on top.

pol
    37 mrstwins squares, 6 little bags, 16 RWB squares, 1 ladies cardi, 4 boobs, 20 baby hats, 4 xmas stockings, 1 scarf, 4 prs wristwarmers
  • culpepper
    culpepper Forumite Posts: 4,076 Forumite
    Ice cream so you have a yummy cold cake in this hot weather.
    You can put jam on after the icecream too or strawbs.
  • wigginsmum
    wigginsmum Forumite Posts: 4,150 Forumite
    I made a lemon drizzle cake yesterday and it's even better if you include lemon peel in the cake mix.
    The ability of skinny old ladies to carry huge loads is phenomenal. An ant can carry one hundred times its own weight, but there is no known limit to the lifting power of the average tiny eighty-year-old Spanish peasant grandmother.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 338.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 248.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 447.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 230.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 601K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 171.1K Life & Family
  • 244.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure