We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Supermarket Milk - is it local?

Options
Hi, for some time now I have been wondering how many miles my supermarket milk has travelled since it left the cow that produced it. I am keen to minimise the number of unnecessary miles travelled by produce that's heading for my table. Given that I am almost certainly going to be buying from the supermarket and not doorstep milk (sorry) I would like to choose the supermarket that I buy my milk from - or at least be aware of how far my milk has travelled. Can anyone give me any idea how I might find out?

Comments

• moonrakerz
    moonrakerz Posts: 8,650 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Basically - and bizarrely - the cheaper the milk, the mores miles it has probably travelled !

The UK supermarkets have been driving milk prices down and down. Many UK farmers are giving up on milk production as the supermarkets buy in from abroad.
    I will let you decide what will happen when the majority of our milk supplies are controlled by foreign governments - like our oil and gas !

http://stevebeasant.mycouncillor.org.uk/2009/11/04/tim-farron-says-surge-in-imports-of-liquid-milk-is-staggering-up-60/
  • jollyme
    jollyme Posts: 343 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks, moonrakerz. What you say is what my concerns are based around. I am hoping that somehow somewhere there might be detailed information. I do not feel comfortable simply assuming that if I pay more then it is more locally produced. Perhaps I should contact the supermarkets directly?
  • davetrousers
    davetrousers Posts: 5,862 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 12 January 2010 at 11:28AM
    Options
    I have noticed in Asda (in Fareham) that they sell local milk from Wickham (ie about 5 miles away). It isn't sold as 'Local' as such, it say's Watson's Dairy, then in smaller print says they are in Wickham. Maybe other Asdas do something similar.

Tesco used to do local choice which meant it was from somewhere local, it cost about 5p more for 2 pints. Can't seem to find that now.

• cyberbob
    cyberbob Posts: 9,480 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    jollyme wrote: »
    Thanks, moonrakerz. What you say is what my concerns are based around. I am hoping that somehow somewhere there might be detailed information. I do not feel comfortable simply assuming that if I pay more then it is more locally produced. Perhaps I should contact the supermarkets directly?
    Remember you dont have to buy your milk from the Supermarket. Supermarkets are more likely to give the actual farmers less money per pint

Search for a local dairy ask them where there milk is sourced and ask where there milk is sold.

We're lucky here we have a local dairy who produce milk from there own cows. Its a few pence more a pint but the milk is better in my opinion than supermarket milk.
  • jollyme
    Options
    Thanks cyberbob, I hadn't thought of approaching things that way round. I'll see how I get on exploring that further.
  • pramsay13
    pramsay13 Posts: 1,979 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The co-op have a policy of locally sourcing their milk.
    There are also a few search sites for local milkmen... try
    http://www.findmeamilkman.net
  • jollyme
    Options
    I'm afraid my milk usage is very unpredictable and my local milkman doesn't deliver every day. So I do not feel it is an option for me.
  • leo~saphira
    Options
    Tesco used to do local choice which meant it was from somewhere local, it cost about 5p more for 2 pints. Can't seem to find that now.

The firm who used to supply milk to Tesco on the local front went bust last year in June (DFoB). Hence why you aren't able to find it anymore

I used to work out of the sheffield depot supplying the milk to Tescos in Yorkshire and N.Lincs
    It's hard to find the balance when you are love.
    You're lost in the middle cause you have to decide between mind & heart.
    Heart is the engine of your body but brain is the engine of life.

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport