PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Making chilli but no kdney beans

Options

Comments

• 2009ismyyear
    Options
    Or you could make it without and then just add the kidney beans when you get each portion out of the freezer?:D
  • kunekune
    kunekune Posts: 1,909 Forumite
    Options
    You don't need beans in chilli. The best chillis are made with stewing steak, not mince, and don't have any beans in them. What I'd do, if I was you and determined to have chilli, is do a bean-less chilli and just do some extra salad or veg on the side.
    Mortgage started on 22.5.09 : £129,600
    Overpayments to date: £3000
    June grocery challenge: 400/600
  • THIRZAH
    THIRZAH Posts: 1,465 Forumite
    Options
    We always used baked beans in chilli when I was a student in the 1970s.
  • msb5262
    msb5262 Posts: 1,619 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Jamie Oliver's chilli in the Ministry of Food book has no kidney beans, uses chickpeas instead. He says there that you can use any kind of bean or even diced potato if you like. Go with the flow!
    MsB
  • tiff
    tiff Posts: 6,608 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    The baked bean sauce adds to the flavour! lol, I would use whatever you have. There are many variations and recipes for chilli, they all have one thing in common, chilli powder!
    “A budget is telling your money where to go instead of wondering where it went.” - Dave Ramsey
  • Red_Cat
    Red_Cat Posts: 1,040 Forumite
    Options
    I had exactly the same issue last week and used white chick pea instead. Tasted delicious too!
    Hoping this year is better than the last. :)
  • psso
    psso Posts: 1,210 Forumite
    Options
    Another vote for baked beans here - with the sauce !- `cos we don`t like kidney beans either.
    Fully paid up member of S.A.B.L.E.
    Stash Accumulated Beyond Life Expectancy :D

Charity knitting 2015
  • rev229
    rev229 Posts: 1,045 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary PPI Party Pooper Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Decided on a chilli with no kidney beans as I normally have to whizz them up before adding as no-one likes them apart from me. Was going to add baked beans but forgot to bring them in from the garage. As the garden is rather icy they can go without!
  • jc2703
    jc2703 Posts: 1,780 Forumite
    Options
    I never put kidney beans in chilli as no one likes them - usually just throw a handful or two of red lentils in.

J x
    Climbing back on the OS wagon after a short vacation to Recklessness
    Quit Smoking 08/06/09
  • kunekune
    kunekune Posts: 1,909 Forumite
    Options
    Actually, I do like beans in mine (at least, if it's a mincey chilli) but not necessarily kidney beans. Black beans are very good as an alternative (sainsburys have them in tins just like all the other beans).
    Mortgage started on 22.5.09 : £129,600
    Overpayments to date: £3000
    June grocery challenge: 400/600
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills