We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

How would I clean those jute/cotton or recycled shopping bags?

Options
As part of my efforts to stop using carrier bags I want to buy some of the shops jute or cotton bags. I'm also keen on the type that are made from recycled bottles and look a little like the fabric that a waterproof coat is made from.

My question is, can they be cleaned easily, if something in my shopping leaked or got dirty? Could I put them in the washing machine on a 30 degree wash with something gentle like "Ecover"? As they cost a few pounds each, I don't want to destroy them by trying to keep them clean.

Comments

• Quasar
    Quasar Posts: 121,720 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I had a Sainsbury jute bag and when the handle and edges got a little to grey and grimey, I handwashed it by soaking it overnight in some soap suds and soda crystals. It came out clean but creased. Not that it mattered of course.

You shouldn't have problem with the machine wash as jute is very strong. Not sure about the recycled bottle material though, but I expect it's just as strong.
    Be careful who you open up to. Today it's ears, tomorrow it's mouth.
  • London_Town
    Options
    Thanks Quasar, you confirmed what I hoped was the case. I also agree that the recycled bottles bags should be fine as I wash my waterproof jacket at least once a year.
  • Gigervamp
    Gigervamp Posts: 6,583 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I've got several of the Cath Kidston bags that Tesco were selling, which are made with recycled plastic bottles. I've bunged them in the washing machine with no problems at all. They wash really nicely.
  • London_Town
    Options
    Cheers Gigervamp, much appreciated.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business