Scottish Widows Pension scheme need HELP!

Options
My father was registered with Scottish Widows some years ago with his old company, the company was found out and investigated as they were taking money out of the pension scheme and in the end the employers ended up without their money.. this was being investigated by Scotland Yard, but has you can imagine it takes time. In that time my father passed away, my mom was then the beneficiary of any monies due and it took a number of years for the investigation to be on its way... Yes you guessed it, in that time my mother passed away!!... So...

In December my brother received a letter address to my mother that bascially said.. Due to demutualisation monies being furnished to the above scheme an additional settlement has been made on the above Policy. An amount of 7,903.23 has been paid by BACS transfer to your bank account in respect of the return of the fund available from this policy. Please allow 3 working days for the payment to reach your bank account.

My brother called Scottish Widows to advise them that our mother had passed away two years earlier (Which they were already aware of). They asked that he send the death certificate and they would contact him in a couple more days.

Well, they have now advised us that due to discussions with their legal team the demutulaisation money could only be paid to whoever the trustees had the power to pay it too..

I guess i'm asking for any opinions. My father paid into that pension scheme for years and came out of it with nothing, and the investigation into this money continued after his death, its finally been resolved and we end up with nothing.
Please anyone with anything?

Comments

• EdInvestor
    EdInvestor Posts: 15,749 Forumite
    Options
    It is usually the case that the nature of trustees with insurance policies is that they have the discretion to pay money to whoever they like.This would normally include dependants of the deceased.
    Trying to keep it simple...;)
  • Lloyd44_2
    Options
    Thank you, I will try to call them tomorrow... Its difficult as i now live in another country and am 5 hrs behind.
  • LisaLou1982
    LisaLou1982 Posts: 1,264 Forumite
    Chutzpah Haggler
    Options
    Hiya
    Ive just settled my late fathers pension with Scottish Widdows - there were a few complicated personal matters but i just sent them a letter and a copy of the will, the birth and death certificates and they sorted everything out for me with no problems x x
    £2 Savers Club #156! :)
    Looking for holiday ideas for 2016. Currently, Isle of Skye in March, Riga in May, Crete in June and Lake District in October. August cruise cancelled, but Baby due September 2016! :j
  • Lloyd44_2
    Options
    Thanks, unfortuantley my father didn't have a will, and my mother forgot to have her's signed... so her estate went into probate. Its been a mess i can tell you, with the 3 siblings left with sorting everything out.
    I've just called Scottish Widows, and they suggested i send in a letter to appeal. Hoping that will work.
    Thanks
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport