Checked budget for wedding and...

Options
...it's looking like we're going to have to put it off for a while :(

After doing some searching and working out how to economise, we realised that we didn't want to scrimp as much as we would have to if we go ahead for next December.

We'd booked the wedding at the register office and were looking for a separate reception venue and forgoing the wedding breakfast to save costs. However upon looking at the costs for catering an evening buffet, it was coming out more to do that than some packages we'd seen for a whole wedding for a grand:confused:

Whilst there's nothing wrong with such packages, they're just not for us. I don't want to spend an inordinate amount but I have to be realistic; we're in a lovely area for venues but it's going to cost more than we have right now for anything over the very basic.

I'm thinking looking at a 2011 winter wedding and agreeing a savings plan with OH. Either that or just running off and gettng married by ourselves... which has crossed my mind!

Ah well...
Dealing with my debts!
Currently overpaying Virgin cc -
balance Jan 2010 @ 1985.65
Now @ 703.63

Comments

• Snowmoredebt
    Options
    Hi Jo
    Good Luck with the savings plan do you have a diary where we could help support you?
    Debt at LBM £19700 :eek:
    Arrears £4800

:j married 14/08/2010 :j
    Date wife can move to live with me 28/02/2011 (date she can leave work for good) :beer:
  • karen_newcastle
    Options
    You could postpone and save for another year but all you'll be doing is spending even more money on your wedding. I would try and look for places you can afford in 2010 - hence saving you money!

It all works out good in the end.
    If it's not good, it's not the end!
  • bigmomma051204
    Options
    You could postpone and save for another year but all you'll be doing is spending even more money on your wedding. I would try and look for places you can afford in 2010 - hence saving you money!

Unfortunately i have to agree with Karen...you will be paying even more - have to say, we saved ALOT by booking a date for wedding this year for next year iyswim....we booked for october 2010 in sept 2009 and we got loads of extras and money off cos they wanted to fill the dates - have you checked with venues, hotels etc that they havent got any late date deals on for 2010?? if you dont ask etc etc ;)

Otherwise, what is your MAX budget and what do you want for that money?? Maybe if you give us an amount on here, people might have done it for less, or the same and it might give you a bit more hope?? :confused:

There are so many ways of saving....if you told us what the city is that you want to hold wedding reception in, you might find alot more help forthcoming?? I understand not wanting to give out an exact location but the name of a city isnt going to help any prospective stalkers very much LOL :D

I just think before you throw in the towel, let the guys and gals on here have a go at helping you??

xxx
    Baldrick, does it have to be this way? Our valued friendship ending with me cutting you up into strips and telling the prince that you walked over a very sharp cattle grid in an extremely heavy hat?
  • lindaatno9
    lindaatno9 Posts: 2,092 Forumite
    Options
    I have to agree with Karen. I imagine the venue/reception packages are the most expensive so finding other areas to budget will be the way to go.
    If you are considering running off to marry alone, then surely simply getting married is the most important. Even over the expense?
    I got married on just over £1,000 so it is possible.
  • fly_dragon_fly
    Options
    i want to give you a big hug as we are in the same issue since losing my job all we have done is paid for the church and bought the dresses for all the girls its the reception as well that has killed us and although i cant bear the thought i know without another income we can't get married next december:(

gosh this is the first time i've admited it i've just blocked it out everytime he talks about canceling it :'( what a crap way to end 2009 :( x
  • karen_newcastle
    Options
    i want to give you a big hug as we are in the same issue since losing my job all we have done is paid for the church and bought the dresses for all the girls its the reception as well that has killed us and although i cant bear the thought i know without another income we can't get married next december:(

gosh this is the first time i've admited it i've just blocked it out everytime he talks about canceling it :'( what a crap way to end 2009 :( x

No wonder you are worried but is the wedding you want or do you want to be married? That's not really meant to be as harsh as it might come across :eek:!!!! I was just thinking that with some changes you might still be able to make your december 2010 wedding. I am a wedding photographer and have covered weddings in every budget and can 100% promise you the amount you spend has no bearing on the enjoyment from the happy couple POV or the guests.

You special day is not about a expensive dress or a flash venue....it's about you and your hubby enjoying yourself with your nearest and dearest and if you can do that in a village hall with a sausage roll and packet of crisps then you are more blessed than most. ;)

It all works out good in the end.
    If it's not good, it's not the end!
  • Jo_R_2
    Jo_R_2 Posts: 2,660 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you all for the lovely helpful replies. We've been discussing it some more today and basically OH is of the mind that he is happy whatever we do, as long as I am happy with what we do iyswim :) So it's up to me to decide!

I have been thinking long and hard about what it is that I want most. Most of all, I want to be married:D I want to be married and celebrate that with the people who are the very most important to us. I DO want to have a meal with these people, wherever that may be, formal or informal, where we do speeches, again formal or informal, where everyone sits together, chats, eats, drinks, and generally has a great time getting merry and being happy (this is starting to sound like one of our family parties LOL!:D)

Talking to my sister earlier who got married a few months ago, we were discussing the ceremony-then-meal option without a reception and all other permutations. She was firmly of the mind that, having been ot a good few weddings of friends over the last couple of years, how much you spend on the reception and where it is doesn't matter; ie one of the most lavish and expensive do's she went to wasn't any better at the end of the day than another friend who had their reception at a working men's club as basically they were both rooms with a disco (she has a way with words my sister!)

Anyway, I get her point bless her, so am sat here weighing up options. It is true that postponing means we'll have more money then spend more money, we did both agree though that we don't want to do things and scrimp. We have a budget of about 1k at the mo, which should be topped up with another £500 later on. Thing is, as well, I'm loathe to spend a massive amount of money on a wedding when it could go to something like a house deposit, or towards debt... I know I'm a walking contradiction at the mo but all I know for sure is I want me and OH to be married sooooooo much and I want it to be right - whatever 'right' is...:rolleyes:
    Dealing with my debts!
    Now @ 703.63
  • HellsGranny
    Options
    I understand how galling it can be to have to put things back, but there are ways to do things on a budget.

My daughter and son in law did their own wedding on a very tight budget, borrowed a dress, I did her hair and makeup, registry office ceremony, and then we drove to the coast and had Fish and Chips!

Most original wedding I've ever been to!

Cheers, HG
  • Jo_R_2
    Jo_R_2 Posts: 2,660 Forumite
    Options
    HG I love the idea of 'original' weddings, that sounds great!

Still mulling things over x
    Dealing with my debts!
    Now @ 703.63
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts