'Christmas v New Year's Day...' poll discussion

Options
Former_MSE_Lawrence
Former_MSE_Lawrence Posts: 975 Forumite
edited 30 December 2009 at 2:02PM in MoneySaving polls
Poll Started 30 Dec 2009:

Christmas v New Year's day

The year’s two biggest bank holiday festivities are less than a week apart... but which do you prefer? Are you Team Christmas or Team New Year?

A. Team Christmas
B. Team New Year
C. Team New Year (as my religion means I don’t celebrate Christmas)
D. I hate ‘em both

Please vote here, or click 'post reply' to discuss below. Thanks :)

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]

Comments

• Diesel44
    Diesel44 Posts: 623 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Christmas last over several days in our house.
    New Year seems to a quick flash, bang, wallop and it's over.
    Also New year always represents that it time to go back to work.
  • ThinkingOfLinking
    Options
    To be honest, I don't make a big deal out of either but I'll go for B as I am looking forward to a brand new year and have a lot of things I want to achieve and an idea of how to achieve them, whereas 2009 has had a lot of rubbishy factors. Christmas, for me, is a retail orgy, and as I am not religious, I don't celebrate it; I will celebrate it if I get lucky and have kids one day though.
  • abulkasam
    Options
    Isn't it a little ironic to say
    "C. Team New Year (as my religion means I don’t celebrate Christmas)"
    when the New Year is referenced to the birth of Jesus?
  • brain68
    Options
    I like the time off work, but i dont see the point in new year, it is just a tick of a clock, nothing changes, your life will be the same as it was yesterday, your life problems will not go away just because it is a new year. If you want to make changes in your life dont wait until a new year comes, do it anytime of the year not just 1st January!!! Many people on social networking sites are saying 2010 is going to be a good year - how do they know that!!!

I am not a negative person, far from it, i believe in making changes when they are needed to be made and not just for new year.
  • ThinkingOfLinking
    Options
    brain68 wrote: »
    i believe in making changes when they are needed to be made and not just for new year.

I agree, and follow this myself, but a new year is a great impetus for many as an addition.
  • shellsuit
    shellsuit Posts: 24,749 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    New Years Day is my daughter's birthday so we do make a fuss obviously, but Christmas is our number 1 day as it's a day for all of us!
    Tank fly boss walk jam nitty gritty...
  • UKoap
    UKoap Posts: 63 Forumite
    Options
    Move to Scotland where everything seems to be on hold for two weeks
  • Xbigman
    Xbigman Posts: 3,884 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I no longer make a big thing out of either. Its just a commercial exercise in most households. My neighbours challenged their family to buy everyone a present at a maximum price of £10. Most just didn't get the idea behind it and bought as usual, some came up with lame idea's BUT a few really made the effort by hunting out bargains and being creative. Actually making the effort with cheaper gifts (as opposed to just spending more each year) is the real spirit of xmas. I'd rather have a thoughtfull gift than a dear one. They are doing the same again next year and given what stubborn b*stards they are they will keep going until everyone joins in.
    Regards

X

EDIT

Forgot to mention, next year neighbours presents will be 'blind'. That is they will only have the recipient on them and not who gave it.
    Xbigman's guide to a happy life.

Eat properly
    Sleep properly
    Save some money
  • cw18
    cw18 Posts: 8,619 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Team New Year for me.

Purely 'cos I don't do much for it (don't even go out NYE, though I do stay up - mainly 'cos I'd be woken if I didn't, as the dog hates all the midnight fireworks :mad: ), and hate that I'm expected to do everything in the run up to Christmas (and on the day itself too!)
    Cheryl
  • hundredk
    hundredk Posts: 1,182 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    abulkasam wrote: »
    Isn't it a little ironic to say
    "C. Team New Year (as my religion means I don’t celebrate Christmas)"
    when the New Year is referenced to the birth of Jesus?
    Presumably it's to be seen to be inclusive and keep the minority religions happy by giving them a box to tick. No mention of agnostics/athiests of which there are many.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure