Going abroad

Hi all!

I have a reasonable amount of money stashed away in UK savings accounts but I plan to emigrate to Canada in March 2010. I imagine I will eventually have dual-nationality.

Should I take my savings to Canada with me or are there tax-cutting advantages to leaving it in a UK-based account?

Thanks for any help offered!

Comments

• Your UK interest income will still be taxable in the UK. Although if you have no other UK sourced income then you will have the benefit of the unused personal allowance before tax kicks in.
  • Your UK interest income will still be taxable in the UK. Although if you have no other UK sourced income then you will have the benefit of the unused personal allowance before tax kicks in.

Thanks for that, Pumpkinface!I think the unused personal allowance thing will apply to me. How do I act on this? Do I tell my bank manager or do I tell the tax office?
  • dzug1
    dzug1 Posts: 13,535 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    You fill in a form R85 and give it to your bank
  • dzug1 wrote: »
    You fill in a form R85 and give it to your bank

Thank you! (This forum is brilliant).
  • Yes, MSE is a great source of info and tips, not to mention entertainment: have you seen the Debitas thread?

I hope that you will continue to be a member when you are in Canada.
    Who having known the diamond will concern himself with glass?

Rudyard Kipling

• Cook_County
    Cook_County Posts: 3,085 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Canadian tax is not necessarily lower than UK but you should take advice on an Immigrant Trust, Canadian taxation of UK pensions including perhaps a QROPS, UK State Pension etc before moving.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure