my first post. Advice please.

Options
Hello all. I have discovered this site recently and realsise how helpful everyone is. My situation is this. I have just bought a house with my oh. The mortgage is in my name as her credit history is not good from 2-3 years ago. I have recently seen her experian report with her consent and it is quite extensive. far worse than she apparently realised. she has had no correspondence with all creditors except 1 CCJ which she paid last month, for at least 2 years as she moved addresses and didn't tell them. She has buried her head really as she didn't feel in a position to pay her debts off. If i bring the subject up she ends up getting upset and saying it is her problem and they can't touch my house etc etc.

What I need to know is
1) are the balances on the experian report the extent of her debt ? some have been updated recently and are the same as her default balance1 does that mean they are not charging interest ?

2) From reading this site I am sure the debts will not be forgotten about . will debt collection agencies try to add interest and charges ?

3) is it better to try and deal with the debts immediately before they are sold on?

The outstanding debts total around £12500 all in default and without any contact for two years approx. She also has a loan for £3500 which she has been paying off at 80 a month and that is up to date.

I just wanted to know the best way forward.

Comments

• maxamos
    maxamos Posts: 104 Forumite
    Options
    I'd try and suggest that she goes to CCCS or Payplan to talk about her debts as they will not go away (I know only too well about this), they're free and offer good non judgemental advice and will be able to sort you out a plan of action.

If your oh is getting upset when you talk to her about this it almost certainly means she's worried and having someone who can talk to you plainly and offer a way out should be a way to take this weight of debt of her shoulders

HTH Max
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport