Are treadmills worth it?

Hi all, Gilksman here

I'm thinking of buying a treadmill for myself to use during those freezing winter months and i thought I should start planning now although I don't want to have spend too much. I'm not really sure what sort of things to look out for when buying a treadmill though.

Has anyone out there got any experience of buying a treadmill and maybe any recommendations? Also would anyone know what are benefits of a "magnetic" treadmill and why this would be any better over a manual one?

Thanks in advance
Gilksman

Comments

• sportbeth
    sportbeth Posts: 621 Forumite
    All I know is that the ones with Manual belts are nigh on useless if you are going to go any faster than a very slow stroll. So a bigger one with a motorised belt is going to cost you a few quid.

Try going to a gym for a test run. See what you like and then list it. Then go to a big store like JJB sports and they can offer advice on what they've got that is similar . You might even fall in love with the gym and decide that a year's membership there is more beneficial
  • ktsummerfun
    ktsummerfun Posts: 17 Forumite
    :j If you're looking for a treadmill for home, this one is good http://www.simplyfitnessequipment.co.uk/Treadmills/Vivotion-Excel-V2000-Treadmill.

My bro bought it recently and has been using it alot. They are good for getting your stamina up, losing weight and getting your metabolism going. The reviews look good for it, so don't just take my word for it, or should I say his.:money:

I am not into treadmills myself, prefer rowing machines, but if that's what you want, then go for it. I know my bro loves treadmills.:T
  • Bossyboots
    Bossyboots Posts: 6,746
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I wouldn't say I love treadmills but I can't use a rowing machine so treadmill it is.

We have a motorised one but before we bought it, we went to JJB sports and spoke to the staff there who demonstrated them and advised us. We were also allowed to have a go ourselves. Felt a bit guilty afterwards as the one he recommended was cheaper in Argos and we got it there instead.

Everyone I know who has bought a non-motorised one has given up very quickly so if you can stretch to that, I think it would be best. You get a constant speed on it, whereas on a manual one if you start to flag, so does your speed.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure