Consumer credit agreements

Options
Hi,can someone tell me is there a new ruling concerning consumer credit agreeements,as back in September after many letters and phonecalls to Littlewwods asking for a copy of my signed credit agreeement,i recieved a letter from them informing me that they would not be pursuing me for this debt.However today i recieved a letter from them threatening to pass this debt onto Nationwide Debt Recovery Limited.Can they do this ,are they allowed to back track like this?
I know people will jump straight on my back and start calling me all the names under the sun for trying to shirk off this debt ,but basically when you are being hounded,called up to to 10 times a day demanding full payment and adding charges and inbelievable interest, when previously been a good customer for a number of years,never having missed a payment,you will try anything.If anyone has any suggestions they will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Dozydoe

Comments

• kevin_M
    kevin_M Posts: 551 Forumite
    Options
    have you still got the letter saying that they will not be pursuing you for this debt ?
  • dozydoe
    Options
    Yes, ive still got it.Do you suggest sending them a photocopy?
  • Broken_hearted
    Broken_hearted Posts: 9,553 Forumite
    Options
    Did you keep them informed off your situation. I found as long as I kept them up to date there wasn't a problem. If i made token payments they would waive the fees for three months and even then if I did get a £15 charge they refunded it. Yes the interest is still added at 30 something % which is insane but thats what you sign up for.
    Barclaycard 3800

Nothing to do but hibernate till spring

• file_wizzard
    Options
    Unfortunately although in many cases the creditor will send a letter stating "we will not pursue you for this debt" it is meant in the literal sense, WE will not be perusing you but we will sell the debt on and let some one else chase you.

The legal side of what is owed is quite complex, in short without a CCA agreement it is very hard to enforce the debt with out a court action, and even with a court action in 99% of cases the court will not enforce a CCA debt that has not been correctly documented.

However as we all know various DCA's will continue to chase this for as long as they can, the only protection you have from this are the poorly enforced OFT guidelines on debt collection practices, and also the protection from harassment act.

all I can suggest is regardless of your personal feeling about Littlewood’s that you either refuse to pay full stop and hope no court action is brought within the next 6 years, ( a moral decision you would have to make) or you offer to repay the DCA a token amount, or a reduced full and final mindful that they have probably paid peanuts for the debt anyway.
    :rolleyes: It’s hard enough remembering my opinions - without remembering my reasons for them :rolleyes:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure