Overwhelmed

Options
Talk about being over whelmed. I thought the debt I'm in and the paperwork that goes with it was overwhelming enough, but this site is phenomenal (in a really positive way);)
When I come to 'MoneySavingExpert I don't know where to start. The amount of
of posts and forums that are available and threads that keep grabbing my attention are outstanding.
Currently my wife and I have a debt management plan going through pay plan, but obviously I want to be more efficient with my money now so have come here looking for inspiration.
The threads that have caught my eye are the ones relating to insurance and phones and shopping efficient Ebaying tips. Of course I am also drawn in by the threads on loyalty cards, and free offers and checking your shopping bills for pricing discrepancies and there's also that lay betting gambling thing (which staying well away from that until I really understand it) and budgeting techniques and this....and that...and the other....
Where do you start on a forum like this? Ideas, organisation, motivation and time management.
Are there any threads you'd read through first or a certain order you'd work through? Or is it all about training the mind, and forming good habits?
If this post seems disjointed that'll be because it's midnight and I really should be going to bed:rolleyes:

**Post edited by myself so it's more legible (note to self, don't post late at night) **:D:D
Debt at highest ..............Debt (june 2006).......... Debt now (January 2010).......Debt free date (original) .......Debt free date (revised)
£33,522.91............. £17484.36 ............. £17141.07........................January 2014............... August 2015

Comments

• Sallys_Savings
    Sallys_Savings Posts: 1,642 Forumite
    Options
    Hiya Mr Juggles and welcome...........

I think this site is brilliant.....and everyone is sooooo friendly and helpful its unbelieveable.

The only thing I can say is.... just go through one board (thread) at a time, reading all the posts and jot down bits and pieces (I sometimes copy and paste onto wordpad while i'm reading) so I can look at all the relevevant info on its own without the chit chat lol.

It does take a while, but its really worthwhile.

Think I'd better nip off to bed .........goodnight and welcome to the boards
  • Sallys_Savings
    Options
    I've just reread that post ~laughing~........sorry the grammar and spelling is way out...*glancing at clock*..far too late for me

night
    x
  • lynzpower
    lynzpower Posts: 25,311 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I know what you mean- I can seldom log off ;)

Set aside loads of time and pick your fave areas and scroll through them

Some things dont interest me ( like techie, shares and I seldom go near anything like holidays :D) but IM found all over these boards most of the time absorbing the lot

Welcome! Its a fab place to be :D
    :beer: Well aint funny how its the little things in life that mean the most? Not where you live, the car you drive or the price tag on your clothes.
    Theres no dollar sign on piece of mind
    This Ive come to know...
    So if you agree have a drink with me, raise your glasses for a toast :beer:
  • Ali-OK
    Ali-OK Posts: 4,073 Forumite
    First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Hi!

You're so right - it's a great mine of information here!

There's no right or wrong order in which to do stuff and baby steps to start with will lead to being on a roll.

I took this approach, if it helps:

1) Visit MSE everyday
    2) Spending diary - write down every penny I spend
    3) Visit MSE everyday
    4) Reduce outgoings - price compare and get cheapest on utilities, mobile, homephone/broadband, insurances, 0% credit cards, etc. Cancel anything unecessary, take lunch to work, etc.
    5) Visit MSE everyday
    6) Loyalty on everyday stuff (so food shopping/petrol) - get yourself a card
    7) Visit MSE everyday
    8) Increase incomings/Get Freebies - eBay, Amazon, car boot sale for selling, Freebie board, etc.
    9) Visit MSE everyday
    10) Pay less for purchases/get cashback - Quidco.
    11) Visit MSE everyday! :D

Bit of a theme going on :D Learn something new every visit, note it, do something about it.

Good luck!
    Back on the DFW Wagon:

CC - £3,300 on 0% til 04/2020
    CC - £4,500 on 0% til 02/2019
    Loan - £12,063.84 as at 4/1/18
  • Sallys_Savings
    Options
    Ali ..I'm sorry but you forgot to mention visiting MSE everyday ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure