'MoneySavingExpert in Poundland shopping spree shocker!' blog discussion

Options

Comments

• michelden
    Options
    Well done Martin, this makes you even more of a hero to us mere mortals, lol.
    Just remember that, even though the items cost 99p or £1 they might still be cheaper elsewhere. I know I'm getting a bit too careful at the moment but I am trying very hard to get rid of my overdraft by February. I am on target so far :)
  • johnmichaeldoyle
    Options
    I love Poundland!

I just went and bought some malteasers, a nose hair trimmer and a blackboard!

Yay! :j
  • maybe1
    maybe1 Posts: 1,395 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Well done Martin. Your next step is shopping in a 99p store. Thank you so much for this site. I am learning loads.
  • k2468
    k2468 Posts: 6 Forumite
    Options
    I think its good pr, so long as you practice what you preach - i.e. only buy what you need, otherwise you are being seduced by the "cheapness" of it all. But we should shop wherever suits our need without feeling concerned about being seen there, whether it's Harrods or Poundland.
  • I have found real gems of bargains in Poundland (sometimes items costing £20 - £30 retail, e.g. Belkin iPod or Knomo iPhone cases). DVD's and books also have great deals.

To find these, best to go in the morning (after shelves restocked) and on a regular basis.

Equally, some things (e.g. biscuits) are slightly cheaper to buy in the supermarkets. This is where your 'price' knowledge needs to be utilised.
    Invented tradition: Couponology

Fancy title: Couponologist

Motto: Because I have conviction doesn't mean I'm a convict :D.
  • waqasahmed
    waqasahmed Posts: 1,926 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 16 December 2009 at 9:46PM
    Options
    bylromarha wrote: »
    Any chance of a pic in the thuggish hat?!

lol. They dont have those in our poundland. So I had to buy mine from the market at £1.75. Have to agree with Martin though. When I first saw myself in it, it did look like I was a burglar of some sort.

I normally go to the poundland for my packaging and batteries(though sometimes chocolate and drinks), though Im now going to buy more packaging from eBay where the price of one works out less than £1 lol

I once also bought a DSA driving theory test from there(will have to see where it is) apparently it doesnt have all the questions, however at 8 times less the price it normally retails at, its worth it for £1
  • M-L
    Options
    Laptop skins 99pence store!, £9 in staples! £6.95 in Argos.
    Books, great value in both stores, including 2010 road atlas.
  • 60-something
    Options
    This is my first post so hope it is o.k
    Just wanted to say well done Martin, shopping in poundland can have bargains for everyone who wants to save money. But just as a previous post said you do need to be price savvy to save the most money as there can be a few items which are not the cheapest.
    Martin is quite right with one thing it certainly can be addictive as I can't pass this shop without going in.
  • newmum1
    newmum1 Posts: 1,341 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    POUNDLAND ROCKS...........
    I got Collens real style hardback copy cover price £17.99 i was really happy so now I pop in as they have some really good books. :)
  • ThinkingOfLinking
    ThinkingOfLinking Posts: 11,828 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited 17 March 2010 at 10:51AM
    Options
    I love Poundland!

I just went and bought some malteasers, a nose hair trimmer and a blackboard!

Yay! :j

That made me laugh....a very random combination.:rotfl:

I think Poundland jiffy bags are the best I've ever used; I tend to recycle ones I receive when I sell books online but when I run out, I always use the Poundland ones with no problems whatsoever. Very good quality. Same with their normal envelopes. And Pro plus tablets for work; just £1 as opposed to the £3ish charged elsewhere.:eek: Oh...and batteries.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure