PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Black Saturn's evening meal planner

Options

Comments

• zombiecazz
    zombiecazz Posts: 535 Forumite
    Options
    Zombiecazz, the red soup sounds gorgeous but isn't strictly veggie unless you replace the worcester sauce. I think I'll make it without the sauce. Many thanks, Chell

P.S I'd love to know what the peanut butter recipe is too.

Sorry, forgot about the anchovies. If you miss out the worcester try using some tomato sauce and miss out the sugar aswell.
    "A banker is a fellow who lends you his umbrella when the sun is shining, but wants it back the minute it begins to rain." Mark Twain
  • aimme13
    aimme13 Posts: 458 Forumite
    Options
    Great thread, started reading it yesterday and just popped back on to take some notes............i am strict veggie and have no slow cooker but there are still some great ideas i can take from here. Off to tesos this evening so going to buy some bits,

sometimes i see things reduced in tesco but cant think of a thing to do with them (single cream being one of them) so now im gonna grab that 10p cream and whip up some chocolate moose!! yum yum

also looking to see if you can get suet that is suitable for veggies (sure you can) but never really looked...........feeling hungry now!

off to try the potatoe bake for the kids

many thanks
  • Trow
    Trow Posts: 2,298 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    You can get veggie worcester sauce - butLea & Perrins isn't.

I used to get a gorgeous one when I lived in Inverness, but they stopped making it :(
  • Trow
    Trow Posts: 2,298 Forumite
    Options
    aimme13 wrote:
    also looking to see if you can get suet that is suitable for veggies (sure you can) but never really looked...........feeling hungry now!

You can get veggie suet - but it's usually made with hydrogenated oils, which are really, really bad. (Process makes the fats 'sticky' and is worse for clogging arteries than, say, butter).

If I was you I would use butter - you would probably get away with using margerine but thetexture wouldnn't be as good.
  • black-saturn
    black-saturn Posts: 13,937 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    When I was a veggie (for 11 years) everyone kept telling me I wasn't a true veggie because I ate bread. Is this true?
    2008 Comping Challenge
    Won so far - £3010 Needed - £230
    Debt free since Oct 2004
  • wigginsmum
    wigginsmum Posts: 4,150 Forumite
    Options
    Can't see how that would be a problem, unless yeast is classed as an 'animal'?
    The ability of skinny old ladies to carry huge loads is phenomenal. An ant can carry one hundred times its own weight, but there is no known limit to the lifting power of the average tiny eighty-year-old Spanish peasant grandmother.
  • aimme13
    Options
    not heard of that one about bread, im usually pretty good with things that arent veggie (even E numbers!!!!)...i know a bit extreeme...
    just put the potatoe bake on so hope it goes well, just popped back on to see if i can make something for a treat after........gonna search the recipe thread.......need to use up some eggs, so hope will find something nice
  • aimme13
    Options
    well that was easy gonna make some chocolate brownies.......black saturn style......thanks once again (and excited that i have all the ingrediants :-)
  • taplady
    taplady Posts: 7,184 Forumite
    Options
    Potato Bake

Preheat oven to gas mark 3. Peel and slice enough potatos for 3 people (depends on your appetite). Grate about 6oz of cheese and dice 2 or 3 cooking onions. Layer up the potato, cheese and onion in an oven proof dish and then pour on about half a pint of milk. Bake in the oven until cooked through.

This sounds yummy and definately worth a go.OH will be wanting something to go with it though (meat!:rolleyes: ) but I have some BOGOF bacon in the freezer which should go well with it.I also plan to try the icecream as I like sterilized cream and at least it wont be full of additives!:D
    Thanks BS
    Do what you love :happyhear
  • aimme13
    Options
    hello again!....just got back from tesco and was going to buy the bits to make vanilla ice cream, however after having a hissy fit in the sugar isle (looking for vanilla sugar) i stumbled across it at the end of an isle with some chinese ingrediants.....it was about £1.69 for a small tub.......wasnt sure if that was the correct thing and if it was im guessing it would be cheaper elsewhere??? any help??.......oh and my fussy daughter loved the potatoe bake, however my son wasnt impressed! oh well 1 out of 2 not bad and the brownies went down a treat with the kids outside too!!!

Edit - ive just gone back and read the recipe again to see how much vanilla sugar is needed and saw the all important 'or' sugar with vanilla essence.......!! sorry if this isnt making sense......new to all this home made stuff!! will go and buy that cream now!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure