We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Pensions Planning: The NUMBER

1…238239241243244…298

Comments

  • As the monthly amount I will draw from my pension will be modest, my plan is to have £30k invested in my ISA that should generate the money needed to replace washing machines, computers etc, while also being available if the worst happens and I do need a new roof!
    Think first of your goal, then make it happen!
  • LHW99
    LHW99 Posts: 5,892
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I wouldn't say an emergency fund as such is important, but we do aim to have a certain amount always available on instant access, as it can take at least a few days to access pension moneys even with the most efficient administrator, and there are a few things (eg house becoming uninhabitable - flooding perhaps) where being able to call on funds at really short notice is of benefit.
    Not necessarily the 3-6 months income often suggested when working though.
  • The retirement living standards from the PLSA, which were supposed to be updated at the end of last year, are now promised to be updated in February.  I find their information on how much you need to live invaluable. I imagine there'll be a big rise in amounts needed to live in 2024, due to inflation. I found this information about updating at https://www.plsa.co.uk/Events/Webinars-and-Seminars/Retirement-Living-Standards-changing-expectations and there's a PDF from them at https://www.retirementlivingstandards.org.uk/How-to-estimate-likely-RLS-20230110.pdf which indicates (using the current, not yet updated figures) which shows how much you need in your pension fund to achieve either a basic, moderate or comfortable lifestyle.  Hopefully, this PDF will update in a week or two.



  • SarahB16
    SarahB16 Posts: 601
    Fourth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Arthurian said:
    The retirement living standards from the PLSA, which were supposed to be updated at the end of last year, are now promised to be updated in February.  I find their information on how much you need to live invaluable. I imagine there'll be a big rise in amounts needed to live in 2024, due to inflation. I found this information about updating at https://www.plsa.co.uk/Events/Webinars-and-Seminars/Retirement-Living-Standards-changing-expectations and there's a PDF from them at https://www.retirementlivingstandards.org.uk/How-to-estimate-likely-RLS-20230110.pdf which indicates (using the current, not yet updated figures) which shows how much you need in your pension fund to achieve either a basic, moderate or comfortable lifestyle.  Hopefully, this PDF will update in a week or two.



    Thank you so very much for sharing this as always interesting to read however I know for me, based on the wonderful comments I read on here, that it is worth recording on a spreadsheet your own expenditure for years before you retire to see the level of income you may need in retirement and of course worth factoring in having more leisure time too and the cost of those activities. 
  • michaels
    michaels Posts: 29,753
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Arthurian said:
    The retirement living standards from the PLSA, which were supposed to be updated at the end of last year, are now promised to be updated in February.  I find their information on how much you need to live invaluable. I imagine there'll be a big rise in amounts needed to live in 2024, due to inflation. I found this information about updating at https://www.plsa.co.uk/Events/Webinars-and-Seminars/Retirement-Living-Standards-changing-expectations and there's a PDF from them at https://www.retirementlivingstandards.org.uk/How-to-estimate-likely-RLS-20230110.pdf which indicates (using the current, not yet updated figures) which shows how much you need in your pension fund to achieve either a basic, moderate or comfortable lifestyle.  Hopefully, this PDF will update in a week or two.



    In the past their suggested annuity rates have looked on the high side meaning the pot sizes suggested are too small but may be more realistic now.
    I think....
  • saucer said:
    I am bumping this thread to get it back to the top of the forum and bring back on topic.  

    Just checked on here and in 2014 3 years before I retired and 10 years ago I posted on here saying we needed £25k to survive and it was too late to start a SIPP given I only had 3 years before I left work. Oh how things change. 

    We in fact did retire in 2016 and 2018 (both 58 years old ) and although the income did not kick in all at the same time and we still are waiting on state pensions we are in the comfortable category when it comes to pension living standards categories. In the end we retired initially on £30k for a couple. Now our income is approx £2500 each per month so £5k in total.  That will increase by around £1k each when our state pensions pay out later on this year and early in 2026. That is a mix of DB pensions, DC pension, SIPP, stocks and shares ISAs. We live comfortably off that and indeed are still saving and we gift a lot so we could survive on a lot less. Our drawdown percentage on SIPPS, stocks and shares ISAs and DC pension is about 4%. 
    Thank you enthusiasticsaver for all the great detail. We’re still 2+ years off but getting there. We’ll be on a bit more pension than you, predominately DB, but will probably spend more, especially on holidays and the planned motorhome, the latter being supposedly an expensive way to have a cheap holiday. 
    One question is whether you have a specific plan or pool of saving for big spends, new roof, bathroom etc or does that come from DC and/or saving? It’s been discussed before but I am still wondering how much of an emergency or big ticket fund we should aim for when having a good and reliable DB income. 
    We do have a pool of saving for bigger spends and when an opportunity to change my car came in at the end of last year we used it  and then reimbursed from investments.  Some say an emergency fund is not needed in retirement but we like having a buffer to book a last minute holiday, splash out on something for the house or as we did last year change one of the cars. We keep approx £20k in cash .  I know some don't bother but I would prefer it as we would not want to cash out if the market was in a slump so having an accessible cushion of cash is preferable for us. 
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Save £12k in 2026 Challenge £12000/£10,000
    365 day 1p Challenge 2026 £667.95/£600.31
    Click on this link for a Statement of Accounts that can be posted on the DebtFree Wannabe board: https://lemonfool.co.uk/financecalculators/soa.php
  • poseidon1
    poseidon1 Posts: 3,694
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Thought I might chip in and perhaps provoke an alternative  thought or two  on this number thing. In my view there is no number. 
    Targeting what you think you might need to enjoy a certain level of income in retirement requires a level of crystal ball gazing nobody is capable of.

    What events such 2008 financial crash, 2020 pandemic, recent stratospheric interest rate rises together with concomitant high inflation  ( not to mention ongoing geopolitical conflicts ) should  teach us, is there will always be unpredictable events  ( some quite extreme ), that can and do derail the effectiveness of a targeted income plan.

    My advice is amass as much as one can in pensions, savings, isas, and other income producing assets, with a view to exceeding what you think you might 'need' in retirement. If you reach the happy position of  accumulating financial resources  way beyond your needs ( and indeed wants ), then you always have the option to give away surplus to family/dependents etc.

    This advice is especially directed to the younger generations, who unlike many 'boomers' will have little or no access to final salary pension schemes; a state pension starting at age 70 ( if they are lucky but in all liklihood means tested by then; far less in terms of property equity ( assuming they can get on the ladder in the first place ). Yes, some may benefit from inheritances, but security in retirement cannot hinge solely on such expectations.





★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.