PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

pork pie

Options
My MIL sadly died before I could ask her for the recipe she had for a wonderful pork pie she made us every xmas. I know she minced the pork herself, and the pastry was made with hot water. I think Gary Rhodes did one a while ago, and it looked very much like the one she made, can anyone help/

Comments

• poppy-glos
    poppy-glos Posts: 478 Forumite
    edited 9 December 2009 at 9:51PM
    Options
    hi, i'm not sure about the filling, but the pastry is probably hot water crust, i've used it for making pie on boxing day with all the leftover turkey and stuffing. The fun bit is 'moulding' the pastry round a jar or whatever to form the shape, then making a foil and cardboard 'collar' to hold it up during cooking.

recipe is from 'my cookery year' and is as follows...
    12oz plain flour
    1/2 level teaspoon salt
    4oz lard or soft table margarine
    1 egg yolk

sift flour and salt into warm bowl,put fat with 1/4 pint water in small saucepan over low heat, when melted bring to boil. make a well in flour and put in egg yolk. cover egg with flour and pour in water/fat and stir until cool enough to handle. then knead for a bit, cover and leave in warm place for 20 mins. use to line tin or flour 2lb jar and use this to shape a 'pot'. cool then ease out of jar. use 'protective' band of foil to stop collapsing during cooking, 3 hours baking... haven't got a filling recipe.. sorry

bake at 45o for 20 mins then turn down to 325 and cover with foil and cook for 3 hours.
    nov grocery challenge, £.227.69/300, 9/25 nsd: , 7 Cmo, 10 egm.
    Me, 10 yo dd, and the dog. all food and drinks, in and out, plus household shopping.
  • lisa26_2
    lisa26_2 Posts: 2,100 Forumite
    Options
    do you have a Bero book? It'll be in there!
  • lindadykes
    Options
    A step by step recipe here with piccies. Not tried it yet, but hope to get around to it soon.
  • anniemf2508
    anniemf2508 Posts: 1,848 Forumite
    Options
    Has anyone got this months (Junes) Goodfood magazine or James Martins new book.
    I have lost my copy of the magazine (i get it on subscription) and had planned on making his mini pork pies as part of my meal plan this week.

If anyone could type it out and post it on this thread i'd be truly grateful.

Thanks in advance :)
  • peb
    peb Posts: 1,799 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Can't help speficially but have you searched online on the BBC Food website - most of James martin's recipies are there. I can't search now (at work and limited access) but I have got recipies for pork pies from that site in the past.

HTH
  • anniemf2508
    anniemf2508 Posts: 1,848 Forumite
    Options
    i've searched.... cause its in his new book and the new magazine its not online :(
  • Buddingblonde
    Buddingblonde Posts: 837 Forumite
    Options
    There is a recipe on the bero web site
  • Sunnyday
    Sunnyday Posts: 3,855 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If you don`t find the one that you prefer then i can highly recommend this HFW one.

http://www.them-apples.co.uk/2009/06/how-to-make-pork-pie/

Absolutley gorgeous!

HTH

SD
    Planning on starting the GC again soon :p
  • Penelope_Penguin
    Penelope_Penguin Posts: 17,288 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Sunnyday wrote: »
    If you don`t find the one that you prefer then i can highly recommend this HFW one.

http://www.them-apples.co.uk/2009/06/how-to-make-pork-pie/

Absolutley gorgeous!

HTH

SD

That's the one I've made - easy and delicious :) I have raised pie on my plan for the weekend :T to use a trotter from the freezer before my next half-Berkshire arrives :T
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • honey
    honey Posts: 703 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi anniemf2508,

I have the Good Food magazine and have pm'd you the recipe (not sure if I could put it on the forum because of copyright)

They look lovely, let me know how they turn out :)

honey x
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport