Cheap DVD Player - £17 Asda

Options
Saetana
Saetana Posts: 1,545 Forumite
Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 9 December 2009 at 7:23PM in Shop but don't drop
I was just checking out the Cheap DVD Deals list and the cheapest on there at the moment is £19.99 instore at Tesco. We have just bought one from Asda instore for £17 (from their Smartprice range) or if you get your groceries delivered from there you can order it through your shopping trolley online as part of your normal order (no extra delivery charge). It is nice and small, plain black and is absolutely fine if you just want a basic DVD player. Remote control comes complete with a set of suitable batteries. Very easy to set up. It does not come with a scart lead however (as with most cheap players) but it does have a set of connection leads suitable for older TVs with no Scart connection. We already had a spare Scart lead so no extra cost involved for us as least.

:j
2020 Wins:

Comments

• I_luv_cats
    I_luv_cats Posts: 14,441 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hi

I picked up a Lowry (never heard of that company name before) Compact DVD player @ Morrisons after spotting it on their website. I had to ask for it as it wasn't on the shelf instore. Bargain @ £17

It came with a scart lead, phono lead and remote with batts.

It seems to operate ok and a bargain for my bedroom!
  • Wicca303
    Wicca303 Posts: 73 Forumite
    Options
    I had to return the Asda smart price one after 3 weeks, it kept freezing and making the picture go all pixelated.

I got store credit and bought the Toshiba one for £35.
  • Freebyman
    Freebyman Posts: 591 Forumite
    Options
    I agree with wicca, just had to chuck an asda "special" in the bin as it was outside the 12 months guarantee, only used it a couple of times as well. This was the third one we had as well, fortunately the other two went within a couple of months. My advice would be is with these items - avoid!!!
    Old Faithful we roam the range together,
    Old Faithful in any kind of weather,
    When the round up days are over,
    And the Boulevard’s white with clover,
    For you old faithful pal of mine.
  • joesaunt
    joesaunt Posts: 224 Forumite
    Options
    I have the Asda Smart Price one and have had it for 18 months and no problems at all with it! Gets used about 5 times a week, it does what it says on the tine, plays dvd's...nothing else. I tiook it out of the box, plugged it it and started to watch a dvd, suits me down to the ground.
    8 months to go till end of the IVA :j:rotfl::T
  • tonyhutt
    tonyhutt Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    A friend had one, bought for £35 from Maplin in May 2010. Recently it wouldn't play a DVD without continually jerking, which played OK in another player and was in good condition. I used a DVD lens cleaner disk (with little brushes underneath) once and after that it the DVD played OK without jerking at all. I was amazed the lens cleaner worked.

Personally I wouldn't buy a DVD player without S-video or component video output because you can't use SCART with most projectors. I don't know whether the SCART has RGB outputs but I doubt it.
  • Inner_Zone
    Inner_Zone Posts: 2,853 Forumite
    Options
    tonyhutt wrote: »
    Personally I wouldn't buy a DVD player without S-video or component video output because you can't use SCART with most projectors. I don't know whether the SCART has RGB outputs but I doubt it.

RGB is part of the Scart specification, whether or not it is implemented is up to the individual manufacturer.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure