We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

How much to charge for tax return?

Options
Hi all,

Im currently studying towards my ACCA qualification, i have have been approached by a friend of a friend to complete there tax return. There shouldn't be much involved as they are a sole trader, im not sure how much to charge?

any advice?

Thanks

Comments

• bluejellyfish
    Options
    I was thinking about doing this for some freelance journalist friends of mine.

I was thinking about £100-200ish but really not sure. The company I work for charges about £1200 but thats for complicated returns.

I suppose it depends how long its going to take you.
  • KSoni
    KSoni Posts: 62 Forumite
    Options
    I charge 100 for simple sole trader returns provided they do the books. Anyways how did your exam go. yesterday was a tax paper. What a coincidence, you asked the question on tax paper day. If, you're taking any more exams this time, good luck.

PS: I am also ACCA student and appeared in P6 yesterday.
  • linlin_3
    linlin_3 Posts: 295 Forumite
    Options
    As you are students and both (presumably) uninsurable I'd suggest keeping the fee well below £100 provided the information required is provided and no accounts are needed.
  • mrkbrrws
    mrkbrrws Posts: 337 Forumite
    Options
    Are you sure you are allowed to do this? See http://www.accaglobal.com/students/rules/rights

"(b) Any accountancy services, other than basic book-keeping services, can only be provided for reward by an ACCA student working for, and under the supervision of, a person who, in the opinion of Council, is suitably qualified and/or suitably experienced. The ACCA student may undertake such work either as an employee or as a self-employed person."
    I am an Accountant. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as an Accountant.
    All posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and should not be seen as professional advice.
  • Cook_County
    Cook_County Posts: 3,085 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You need to cover the cost of the PI cover you will need plus the cost of your time, software etc.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport