Forum Home » Old Style MoneySaving

witterings on OS life - Page 3

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

witterings on OS life

edited 8 December 2009 at 10:46PM in Old Style MoneySaving
89 replies 17.2K views

Replies

• seraphinaseraphina Forumite
    1.1K posts
    I can't stand it when people look back with rose - tinted spectacles on years gone by. Sure your mum may have stayed at home cooking cakes etc but a) she was probably worrying about how far to stretch meat, fed up with having to mend clothes (yet again), knitting as a hobby because it could be made into useful things rather than because you enjoy it, and a damp house because you only had coal fires.

I also think a lot of people on here come across as rather smug and patronising when they sneer at people (often relatives!) who might have a TV in their child's room, someone might be in the kitchen cooking, someone else in the study on the computer etc. Who are we to judge? Family life inevitably changes over time; who knows what it will be like in 20 years' time?

But as a woman I am especially grateful for the changes. I have a choice with what I do with my life. I can expect my life partner to shoulder half the domestic burden. And whilst I might have to earn a wage (shock! Horror!), I think you'll find the majority of women have been wage slaves at some point in recent history - because their H drank the money away, gave them far too little pin money, because their H died young, or couldn't work (miners with lung disease anyone?)

And would I like to return to the 1950's diseases? Smallpox? Polio?? Don't get me started....
  • edited 3 December 2009 at 3:13PM
    rosiebenrosieben Forumite
    5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 3 December 2009 at 3:13PM
    seraphina wrote: »
    ... ...because their H drank the money away, gave them far too little pin money, because their H died young, or couldn't work (miners with lung disease anyone?) ....

I hope I didnt come across as smug, My kids had their own tvs in their bedrooms and all the playstations and other paraphenalia that teenagers enjoy but they also knew how to amuse themselves with simpler things like walking the dogs, picnics, flying kites, etc.

You're so right about the gains that women have achieved. I worked full time all my life and I remember having a huge tax rebate - it was sent by cheque to my oh and made out to him! I never saw a penny of it, nor any benefit from it; that was the the final injustice that saw me become a rabid femiinist! (and divorcee!) :D

There are a lot of modern conveniences I would give up and many I've already given up, but never never my rights!! :cool:
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • Im 22 and I have no kids. I obvouisly haven't long been brought up :rotfl:

My mam was the main wage earner in my house she's a teacher dad a self employed musician. She went to work after 6 weeks, Grandma, Grandad and Dad looked after me. I had a TV and Sega in my room but TBH I was always outside on my bike or running round with the other kids in the street. As I got older 13/14/15 it was nice to have my own space and I liked the option although most of the time I chose to sit with Mam and Dad

I always had a homecooked meal and I don't remember her being in a hurry.

I have a flat screen TV and Cable is that bad lol im a tv addict hahaha but if I had kids I'd much rather enjoy spending the time with them.

Thing you just have to find the right balance for you. I wont be a SAHM as I will be the bigger wage earner in my house. Maybe he can stay at home :rotfl:
  • purpleivypurpleivy Forumite
    3.4K posts
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hmm I refused to let the kids to have TV in their rooms, but unfortunately with the advent and broadband they have IPlayer. :confused: Not so much of a problem as they are older I suppose, but they did grow up with hardly any telly. If they had telly in their rooms I think they would have watched a lot more.

Their grandparents very kindly bought them laptops a couple of years ago, which were much appreciated.
    [SIZE=-1]"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"[/SIZE]
    Trying not to waste food!:j
  • mardathamardatha Forumite
    15.6K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    O god I didnt mean to start a row or be smug or look down on anybody LOL !
    I just meant that now we think we are liberated and have a good life - but maybe we just gave ourselves more to do!
    Re tvs/computers etc in bedrooms, I wasn't suggesting they were wrong, I just meant they use elect and so cost money !
    The great thing is that we have the choice. We choose our path our way and we get on with it eh?
  • seraphinaseraphina Forumite
    1.1K posts
    Just reread my post and some of the replies - goodness I did come over a bit strong!

I consider everyone on this thread to be the good guys of OS and certainly didn't mean to include you lot in my description of smug, although you do get a few posters on other threads who are a bit "Fancy! Their children have TVs in their rooms/eat chicken dippers/etc! *My* children would never have that!" in an annoyingly smug and holier-than-thou manner.

I also didn't mean to offend however I can easily see how I managed to put my foot in it!

The only thing I think i might miss about the 1950's is the skirts and dresses. They look great:D (And also, being addressed by surnames. I think that kind of formality is just good manners. Are you listening, Vodafone???)
  • phizzimumphizzimum Forumite
    1.7K posts
    Thriftlady wrote: »
    I don't know Mardatha, you make some valid points but I have to agree with Penny, we don't all buy into the modern way of life that your daughter seems to have done.

Admittedly, the OP is making generalisation about modern family life - but the very fact we're all posting on a thread called "old style" surely means we agree with the spirit of what she says.
    weaving through the chaos...
  • rosiebenrosieben Forumite
    5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    mardatha wrote: »
    ... The great thing is that we have the choice. We choose our path our way and we get on with it eh?

that's true, my kids have chosen the designer labels, must-have-all-the-latest-gadgets way for the moment, but they can afford it so good luck to them. I'm interested to see if/how they change as they get older. As valk has said, its a question of balance - cue the moody blues :D
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • edited 3 December 2009 at 4:06PM
    Molly41Molly41 Forumite
    4.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 3 December 2009 at 4:06PM
    Im 42 but my parents were old when they had me so I was brought up in a very austere (SP?) environment both physically and emotionally. I lived in a house with one coal fire and remember being freezing cold - almost perpetually as the metal framed windows (which my parents still have) let the cold in. They do have central heating now but thats only since they retired - we laugh cos the birds line up on the windowsill to get warm!

Anyway...I did not have access to anything fashionable or modern games or toys. I remeber really wanting a stylophone but no! I was the odd one out during my childhood, unfashionable and a true misfit cos I looked like a 1950 child in the 1970 and was bullied dreadfully. Whats ok for us might not be ok for our children and balance is important. I dont subscribe to indulging my childrens every whim but I do think that todays "inventions" such as the computer and the wii are marvellous - we brought that for DS3 on his physios recommendation and it helped him rehabilitate after a bad hip injury. He hurt his hip playing out and im lucky to live in a small market town adjourning the countryside so they had the space and freedom to play. I made that choice.

Im sure the 1950's housewife had her troubles and dreamed of labour saving devices that we take for granted. I agree we can scale it back but should not go to extremes as we have have to evolve.

Mollyx
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer.
    Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
    I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over and through me. When it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
    When the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.
  • rosieben wrote: »
    that's true, my kids have chosen the designer labels, must-have-all-the-latest-gadgets way for the moment, but they can afford it so good luck to them. I'm interested to see if/how they change as they get older. As valk has said, its a question of balance - cue the moody blues :D

I agree when me and OH first got together we wouldn't be seen dead in none named clothes but when we got our Flat ect we couldn't afford it :rotfl:

I treat myself now and again but only if it something i know will last me years like a coat or shoes or a good pair of trousers