We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Council tax - band change?

Options
We have recently extended our house downstairs, but upstiars have converted it from a 4 bedroom to a 3 bedroom.

Does anyone know if is it at all possible that I could apply to reduce my council tax?

Comments

• lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,755 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The first thing to consider is whereabouts in the band (bottom, middle or top) the 1991 value of the unextended 4 bed sits. If at top I think it's a lost cause to start with.

Secondly as the VOA primarily look at size of property rather than accom, it would be doubtful if a band reduction would be given unless you've made the house very undesirable as a 3 bed. If there are any existing neighbouring 3 beds of the same size as your home was pre extension and in the same band, then you would obviously be wasting your time. Also if you have converted 4th bed to bath or shower room or made 4 smallish bedrooms into 3 decent sized ones, it could be argued that you have increased rather than decreased the value of your home (but your band won't be increased at present time).

So in theory you can apply for CT band reduction, but whether you would get one is very dependent on several factors.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • Lifeisbutadream
    Options
    Thanks - we have made 4 small rooms into 3 better sized rooms, and if they are looking at the whole property then it might go up as we have added loads of space downstairs...

... so maybe I had better not say anything.. :o

Just thought it would be nice to reduce the £1500 we currently pay!
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,755 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Your band won't currently be increased because of any work you have done after 1 Apr 1993, but realistically I can't see it being decreased.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure