Christmas Rip-Offs

Options
Hi

I've just got back from a trip to Early Learning Centre. I wanted to buy a Buggy Steering Wheel for my daughter which was £15 in the Autumn catalgoue. In store it was priced at £20 !

I thought I had the wrong item so went home to check (with my wife !) but I was correct.

I've just got back from my next shopping trip to find it has gone up to £21 !

I asked the store staff who told me it was standard practice for ELC to hike their prices at Christmas to take advantage of the extra demand and that they would be back to normal prices in January in the "sale".

I think this is outrageous behaviour and thought I should tell you all about it.

Penfold.

Comments

• hieveryone
    hieveryone Posts: 3,845 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I've just looked at the Tesco website to see if the TV I bought a couple of weeks ago had a certain feature. It turns out it does have that feature, but it also has a £60 increase too!

Bought is to buy. Brought is to bring.
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,825 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Penfold123 wrote: »
    Hi

I've just got back from a trip to Early Learning Centre. I wanted to buy a Buggy Steering Wheel for my daughter which was £15 in the Autumn catalgoue. In store it was priced at £20 !

I thought I had the wrong item so went home to check (with my wife !) but I was correct.

I've just got back from my next shopping trip to find it has gone up to £21 !

I asked the store staff who told me it was standard practice for ELC to hike their prices at Christmas to take advantage of the extra demand and that they would be back to normal prices in January in the "sale".

I think this is outrageous behaviour and thought I should tell you all about it.

Penfold.

Have you checked the online price,
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • RustyFlange
    RustyFlange Posts: 7,538 Forumite
    Options
    Wish you had posted this a week ago, I have literally just given one away on freecycle!! It had only been used a handful of times I could have sent you that!! ... if it is in their Autumn catalogue then the catalogue will have been changed for a winter one which will mean the price is void. However if it is that price in the current catalogue then you stand a chance of getting it at that price ;)
    Raising kids is like being held hostage by midget terrorists
  • Poppycat
    Poppycat Posts: 19,913 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Unfortunately they allowed to do it. Lets not forget supermarkets almost 365 days of the year, upping prices then lowering them, them claiming they reduced the item

Its all about having your wits about you, they know they can get away with it and some people dont have the time to shop else where or buy when price is right
  • jetty
    jetty Posts: 3,011 Forumite
    Options
    I was sent a 20% off voucher for ELC on a spend over £30, i wish i kept it now :( i could've passed it on
    Man who run into airport turn-styles is going to Bangkok

To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism; to steal from many is research ;)
  • kjmtidea
    kjmtidea Posts: 1,372 Forumite
    Options
    Boots sell Elc toys and they always seem to be cheaper for some reason. I never go to Elc anymore!
    Slimming World - 3 stone 8 1/2lbs in 7 months and now at target :j
  • *Louise*
    *Louise* Posts: 9,197 Forumite
    Options
    I only ever shop with ELC when I use a 20% off voucher

There are always valid ones (spend any amount), check the voucher codes section of the forum.
    Cross Stitch Cafe member No. 3
    2012 170-194 2013 195-207.Hello Kitty ballerina 208.AVA 209.OLIVIA 210.ELLA 211.CARLA 212.LOUISE 213.CHARLEY 214.Mother & Child 215.Stop Faffing Completed 2014 216.Stitchers Sampler. 217.Let Them Be Small 218.Keep Calm 219. Ups and downs 220. Annniversary piece 221. 2x Teachers gifts 222. Peacock 223. Tooth Fairy 224. Beth Birth pic 225. Circe the Sorceress Cards x 24
  • wannabe_moneysaver
    Options
    *Louise* wrote: »
    I only ever shop with ELC when I use a 20% off voucher

There are always valid ones (spend any amount), check the voucher codes section of the forum.

http://www.elc.co.uk/BBCVoucher.php

hth
  • dee1982_2
    Options
    I agree with op, the kitchen I really wanted to get ds has gone up £20. Even with 20% it's way too much. I hope it goes down in the sale.
  • geminibabe
    Options
    Also Sainsburys always used to (?) sell ELC stuff check there, what a cheek eh?
    :heart2::heart2::heart2: I LOVE MY BEAGLE! :heart2::heart2::heart2:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport