Paying BR tax code, should I be on 647L instead?

Options
I'm currently paying stupid amounts of tax each month on BR code. My Dad keeps calling me up on it asking why I've not contacted the Tax Office about it, but haven't thought much of it, until recently.
I've been working alot of overtime and noticed a difference in pay with other associates I work with. One of which who has just turned 18 and works less hours than me. We're all on the same hourly rate so there should be a significant difference in my pay and hers.. I'm not sure what tax code she's on but I'm sure hers is right. I've been working at the same place for 27 months.
I'm 21, still living with my Dad who I pay rent to. My last p60 states I was paid £6905 and taxed £1381 meaning my income was £5390 including Tax & National Insurance, After searching through forums it seems to me that I should not be on BR tax at all and Basic Income Allowance (647L) would be more suited. I will be ringing my local tax office first thing tomorrow to try and sort this out.

So incase they mess me about, could I get a few answers to these please?

1) Should I be on BR or 647L?
&
2) Am I entitled to any of my over payed tax back if that is the case.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• cfnc
    cfnc Posts: 119 Forumite
    Options
    Contact your employers tax office and ask them to look into it. unless you have any other income eg, from savings or other employment then you should have the standard tax code of 647L.

Is this your first job and did you either give in a P45 or P60 when you joined? If not then that would possible explain why you have been put on BR.

If you have overpaid tax then yes you will get it back.

Kirsty
  • Just made the call.. everything's sorted for last year, just need to send off one of my p60 from this year and i'm going to get my tax back! :j

thanks cfnc for the help!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport