Inheritance Tax

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Cutting Tax
4 replies 660 views
jtb2412jtb2412 Forumite
1.8K Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Cutting Tax
Was hoping someone can possibly help with a 'gifting' situation?

Parent (in her 80s) has 4 children and has an estate worth over £350,000 (including the house). She's looking to cut inheritance tax and wants to make gifts to her 4 childen.

I understand that she can make up to £3000 in any tax year plus other gifts such as wedding gifts, individual gifts of £250 each etc etc (HMRC website) but is there any other ways in which she can gift money?

Happy to answer any other questions if need be :D

Many thanks in advance.
:jWeight loss to date 1st 11.5lb :j

Replies

• dzug1dzug1 Forumite
    13.5K Posts
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Depending on how her late husband's estate was distributed she may have a somewhat larger tax free limit - up to twice as much. That could solve the problem

She can give to charity

She can survive 7 years - if in good health highly likely these days.
  • jtb2412jtb2412 Forumite
    1.8K Posts
    Hi dzug1, thanks for the reply.

Husband's estate went to her approx 20 years ago. Not sure about the 7 year thing, anything can happen ! She's in her 80s so it's anybody's guess as to how much longer she has.

She won't give to charity as she has 4 children she wants to give the money to.

I think she's also a bit worried about having more than 50K in the bank due to the recent financial problems in the banking industry - she doesn't want to be opening new accounts at her age.
    :jWeight loss to date 1st 11.5lb :j
  • CLAPTONCLAPTON Forumite
    41.9K Posts
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If her husbands estate went to her 20 years ago then the IHT allowance on her estate will be 650,000 so no tax will be payable in any case.

So she can give whatever she wants to who ever she wants and there will be no IHT to pay.
  • millamilla Forumite
    291 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    "Depending on how her late husband's estate was distributed she may have a somewhat larger tax free limit - up to twice as much. That could solve the problem"

I think what dzug1 is referring to is this ...............

Since October 2007, you can transfer any unused Inheritance Tax threshold from a late spouse or civil partner to the second spouse or civil partner when they die. This can increase the Inheritance Tax threshold of the second partner from £325,000 to as much as £650,000 in 2009-10, depending on the circumstances.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/inheritancetax/index.htm

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/inheritancetax/intro/transfer-threshold.htm
    Without the rain you wouldn't have the rainbows !

I came into this world with nothing and I've still got most of it left!
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

A guide to council tax bands

Lower your band & save £1,000s

MSE Guides

Cinema MoneySaving tips & tricks

Including year's 2for1 movies for £1

MSE Deals