PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

What do you do for Christmas dinner?

Options

Comments

• Willa123_2
    Options
    We've got 22 for Christmas Lunch !
    We peel the Potatoes & get lots of stuff done the day before

Mum has ordered a massive Turkey from the Local Butcher - as big as will fit on our Aga.
    Roast Pototoes
    Parsnips
    Sausages wrapped in Bacon
    Brussels Sprouts'
    Stuffing
    Vegetables
    Bread Sauce & Gravy

Buy a small Christmas Pudding (doesn't get eaten much) Chocolate Roulade

Yum yum yum.
  • sexki11en
    sexki11en Posts: 1,286 Forumite
    Options
    Breakfast, my DH usually does either scrambled eggs & smoked salmon or bagels, cream cheese & smoked salmon. Smoked salmon has to figure lol.

For dinner, it HAS to be turkey with all the trimmings. I've only cooked 3 Christmas dinners before, but they usually consist of Turkey, stuffing, pigs in blankets, yorkshire puddings, roast potatoes, parmesan roasted parsnips, carrots cooked in butter, onion & garlic & sprouts.

We have also bought a pudding, but I think the one we first bought 3 years ago is still in the cupboard lol.

Tea is usually cheese & biscuits, peanuts and selection boxes washed down by wine whilst watching some comedy Christmas special :rotfl:

I LOVE Christmas.

SK x
    After 4 years of heartache, 3 rounds of IVF and 1 loss :A - we are finally expecting our miracle Ki11en - May 2014 :j

And a VERY surprise miracle in March 2017!
  • p-pincher
    Options
    i love christmas dinner, dont think its really changed over the years, been making it for about 17 yrs now so i dont really panic about it. i quite enjoy it to be honest.

this year were having (courtesy of my sister)M&S salmon terreine with smoked salmon and prawns to start. traditional turkey and maybe roast beef(i love leftovers) with mash, roasties, pigs in blankets,stuffing, carrots, parsnips, brocolli and gravy. then thinking of making profiteroles for dessert.

cant wait.
    March 2014 Grocery challenge £250.00
  • Frith
    Frith Posts: 8,165 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    The last 5 years with me and my sons, I have done all the veggies, stuffing etc and we always have Yorkshire puddings because my younger son loves them! They're not great meat eaters so I do 3 turkey fillets (or chicken) under the grill.

And I buy a Christmas pudding to put in the microwave :-D
  • irishwexford
    Options
    i would have sausage and chips if I could but the family love their turkey dinner with all the trimmings, but then i am not really a Christmas lover.
  • gizmo111
    gizmo111 Posts: 2,658 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Xmas eve, prob gammon and new potoatoes, cheesecake - have in laws round for meal about 4 ish.

Stilton stuffed mushrooms and salad to start

Boned and rolled turkey breast and roast pork, carrots, swede,cauliflower,peas and roast parsnips, pigs in blankets, stuffing, roast pots and yorkies, gravy.

Evening sandwiches and mince pies, watching xmas soaps and whatever else is on.

Lots of wine and champagne and any other alcohol that takes ouir fancy.

Boxing Day,

Hangover - buffet from lunchtime onwards, usually play whatever game santa bought the family.

I love it :j
    Mama read so much about the dangers of drinking alcohol and eating chocolate that she immediately gave up reading.
  • sparklewing
    Options
    It's just me & Mr S (and all the cats) here so we never have a traditional christmas dinner, I don't eat meat and he doesn't eat veg so between us that's pretty much the entire meal cancelled out :rotfl:

Last year Mr S had steak pie and I had a feta & pine nut pie with mash for me roasties for him (he doesn't eat mash either :rolleyes:) and lots of veg for me (all Sainsburys made because seriously I can't be bothered trying to cater for Mr Fussypants on one of the few days of the year that one of us doesn't have to work)

The year before that we ordered Chinese from the local restaurant.

this year we haven't fully decided but as I've bought him a boxset of Peep Show series 1-5 I'd imagine we'll end up sprawled on the sofa watching that all day so I'm guessing we'll be stocking up on Sainsburys party nibbles and some microwave popcorn and lots of crackers and cheese and will just graze on our favourite nibbles all day.

I love our Christmas days, it's so rare for us to get to spend a day just us with no work to be done that it makes it really special. :D
  • nic1lou2
    nic1lou2 Posts: 686 Forumite
    Options
    Last year did the Christmas meal (turkey, gammon - the works) on Christmas eve and a buffet on Christmas day (cold turkey, gammon prawns etc) was a lovely relaxed day and we could enjoy talking to people who called in rather than having to keep an eye on the kitchen and clock watching.

This year I am having an op on 21st so going to DD for Christmas lunch (her first time of cooking for Christmas) she is doing turkey with all the trimmings and we are taking honey baked gammon and the champagne and Baileys for afterwards:D

Breakfast is always bacon sandwiches cooked by hubby with champagne - bliss!

I must say I am looking forward to being pampered this Christmas:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
    "Keep smiling, it makes people wonder what you are up to........"
    :D Dieting ........... is no piece of cake!!!!:D
    Weight loss since January 2011 - 5st 5 lbs!!!!!
  • Almo
    Almo Posts: 631 Forumite
    Options
    When I lived at home we used to have a bacon sarnie for breakfast and then a roast - just meat (turkey or beef), roasties, stuffing, gravy and two veg. Cranberry sauce for mum and dad if it was turkey and yorkies for me regardless of the meat. We used to have a roast maybe 2 or 3 times a year, so it was special still.

Now, OH and I live in Australia and really can't be bothered with too much cooking. I'll make something like cinnamon rolls for breakfast, but if I don't feel like it, we'll just have toast and cereal. For lunch we have a whole fillet of beef seared on the barbie (usually have friends over) with some veggies. In the evening there'll be cold meats, cheese and salad. I'll prob make Xmas pud icecream too. Basically, people eat what they want, when they want. I miss my family dearly at Xmas, especially as it's my Dad's bday on Xmas day. They were never massively traditional, it was just a time to do the quiz in the paper together and hang out. I don't miss having to do all the traditional stuff with OH's family though - I much prefer pottering around, having a gin and tonic at 10.30am and doing exactly what we want all day :D
  • barneydee_2
    Options
    Hi I love the whole Christmas thing, but this year I am not looking forward to it as I work in Mr S.supermarket and our store is opening on boxing day and I have got to work so I only get one day off.
    Well this is what we will be having,Turkey,Pork or Beef,roast potatoes,parsnip,carrots,brussel sproats,peas,cauliflower, brocoli,pigs in blakets two types of stuffing followed by hm Christmas pud,hm mince pies cream
    July grocery challenge £250.00/£408.93
    August grocery challenge£350.00
    2/8£28.46
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills