reducing grocery bill

Options
apologies if posted in the wrong area!

Ive just cheked internet banking and we (when i say we i mean the mrs!!!) spent £615 on supermarket shopping in the last month. We take home about £2100 so thats nearly a third!!

i used to think we were quite savvy - ie always getting stuff on offer but it seems not!

Can anyone give me some general pointers?

currently - we take sandwiches to work each day and try to have food that can be made and last two days

for reference there is me, the wife and a 20 month year old baby to feed etc

any help gratefully recd!

thanks.

Comments

• Willsnarf1983
    Willsnarf1983 Posts: 1,928 Forumite
    Options
    £615 geees

sounds to me that its more habit than owt, i suspect that u and ur mrs pop into the supermarket almost daily just out of habit!

so 1 break this habit and shop once a week for the big shop and then once a week midweek (try do this together!)

2) pre plan you meals (look on the old style board) and then u can preplan what u need to buy

3) take no money to work coz i suspect that u go out most times

thats my tuppence so far...sure u will get lots more

Will
    SShhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
  • Chell
    Chell Posts: 1,683 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    OMG!!!!!!!!!!! Surely that can't all be food? Do yuo have any receipts to see what you actually spent it on? It would be a good idea to start a spending diary to see what you are spending your money on.
    Nevermind the dog, beware of the kids!
  • gazza975526570
    gazza975526570 Posts: 3,275 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    well we both get paid the same day of the month and try to do a "big shop!" and plan for the month - we tend to spend about £150 ish at this shop.
    and then we tend to do a weekly shop for fresh veg and other stuff that we have run out of.
    we never (well rarely) spend any money at work

i agree its really bad and not really sure where to start - we are just about to take on a mortgage at £400 more than our current one and as such need to make some savings so any ideas gratefully received

whats the general spend on here - less than this im sure!!!

we also have a couple of cats but tend to but cat biscuits in bulk from a pet store
  • deanos
    deanos Posts: 11,223 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Uniform Washer
    Options
    Go on a full stomach if you feel hungry it makes you buy more, and try and go for the BOGOF deals.

Buy your fruit and veg from the market or greengrocer and meat joints from the local butchers they should work out alot cheaper than supermarkets.

Instead of going to the supermarket go to the local corner store for little items like loaves of bread as they have less temptation to buy items you dont need :)
  • Chell
    Options
    I'm speniding £50 per week on food, toileteries, nappies etc for two adults and two toddlers. Checkout the Grocery Challenge thread on the Old Style board.
  • calleyw
    calleyw Posts: 9,846 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I spend a £100 a month on food for two adults.

I suspect there is more than food shopping. A 20 month hardly eats anything.

What about wine etc.

I agree with chelltune get over to the old style forum.

If you are planning properly you will not just keep running out things. And buying fresh fruit and veg should only set you back about what £10 for a week. So that only comes to £190 including the big shop. So what are spending the other £425 on a month.

If you can afford and don't mind spending the money fine. Otherwise :eek: I would say £200 should cover you for a month even being generous. I would say get your fruit and veg from a greengrocers that way you can't spend extras like DVD's or toys or games etc. That is what kills a lot of budgets. It is not the food but all the extras like clothes. Because to me if you can't eat it it does not get included in the grocery budget.

Yours

Calley
    Hope for everything and expect nothing!!!

Good enough is almost always good enough -Prof Barry Schwartz

If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try -Seth Godin
  • Ali-OK
    Ali-OK Posts: 4,073 Forumite
    First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Wow, that's huge!

What's going in the trolley? With a 20 month old, could clothes and toys be adding to the bill? Or do you get the "odd" DVD/CD going in? Anything that's not food/drink needs to be cut out, unless it's an absolutely necessity.

Meal planning is the way to go. Cook bulk and freeze. When I find a BOGOF, I replace my meal plan with one and freeze the other. Write a shopping list and stick to it. Do you eat alot of snacky foods? We're still chomping our way through BOGOF choccie biscuits, but I've got into making cheese biscuits or jam tarts to replace them. Quick and easy to make, cheaper too!

I'm wondering if you might be better doing weekly shops and stopping the monthly one? That way you're shopping for a week at a time - might be easier to work out what you need, rather than think you'll want during the month?

Lunches for work - I don't really buy separate stuff for this now, either have leftovers from previous day, or use stuff I already have in.

Fruit/veg and meat - as others say, the market and butchers works out cheaper.

First step is work out what you're spending on - so if you haven't got last month's receipts, keep them all going forward. Oh and use a smaller trolley - I found using a large one made me think "there can't be enough in there for the week!" It's an odd psychological thing, but works for me!
    Back on the DFW Wagon:

CC - £3,300 on 0% til 04/2020
    CC - £4,500 on 0% til 02/2019
    Loan - £12,063.84 as at 4/1/18
  • Emmzi
    Emmzi Posts: 8,658 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Get the reciepts for a month and categorise.

Half of mine used to be clothes/ dvds.
    Debt free 4th April 2007.
    New house. Bigger mortgage. MFWB after I have my buffer cash in place.
  • Chell
    Options
    Maybe shop online with Tesco if visiting the supermarket is too tempting. MAke sure you find a money off code on here or by googling.
  • rchddap1
    rchddap1 Posts: 5,926 Forumite
    Options
    Definately visit Old Style. My average at the moment is £80 a month for 2 adults. A good start is to keep your receipts and work out where it is all going, but another good thing to do is to start to plan meals for the next few weeks. So when you go shopping you buy what you need for that plan.

You should be able to make huge savings.
    Baby Year 1: Oh dear...on the move

Lily contracted Strep B Meningitis Dec 2006 :eek: Now seemingly a normal little monster. :beer:
    Love to my two angels that I will never forget.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure