🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Gold onlay/inlay costs

Options
Last year my old amalgam filling decided to fall out of one of my molars taking part of the tooth with it. My dentist gave me a new composite filling which lasted two weeks before it also fell out and took more of my tooth with it. After another trip to the dentist he decided to give me a temporary filling and advised that I should come back if/when I encounter a problem with the filling (he advised I may have more luck with a temporary filling rather than another composite filling).

Touch wood I have had no problems with the temporary filling but decided to visit a new NHS dental practice that has been recommended to me as I have a cavity that has appeared in another tooth. My new dentist was surprised to see the temporary filling and asked what had happened. After explaining the background she wants to remove the temporary filling and has given me two options amalgam on the NHS or a gold onlay (private). The cost quoted for the gold onlay will be £300 and another £300 for the gold inlay to fix the cavity in the other tooth. There seems to be more work involved in making/fitting the onlay but the cost is the same.

I just wanted to find out if the gold onlay/inlay costs are competitive and if it is possible to ever have a gold inlay/onlay on the NHS?

Comments

• Toothsmith
    Toothsmith Posts: 10,075 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Whenever you visit a different dentist, you'll get someone looking at the problem with fresh eyes, who have no experience of you or your teeth.

Sometimes it's a good thing, and problems you've put up with for ages are sorted out by a fresh approach. Sometimes it's a bad thing, and stuff that has been stable and maintained for years suddenly starts giveing trouble again.

The problem is - you've no way of knowing beforehand!!!!

Why did you change dentist?

If it was because one had 'gone private' - then how do you now feel about being given private 'options' at this new place?

Might be better off with 'the devil you know' - who knows your teeth.
    How to find a dentist.
    1. Get recommendations from friends/family/neighbours/etc.
    2. Once you have a short-list, VISIT the practices - dont just phone. Go on the pretext of getting a Practice Leaflet.
    3. Assess the helpfulness of the staff and the level of the facilities.
    4. Only book initial appointment when you find a place you are happy with.
  • Chilly77
    Options
    I don't think the reason I changed dentist is relevant but as the question has been posed I will answer it. I have moved and the new dentist is closer. No, the practice had not gone private.

I just want the best treatment for my teeth and am more than willing to pay if this is not available on the NHS. However I also do not want to be overcharged hence my original questions.

My questions still remain, are the gold onlay/inlay costs competitive and if it is possible to ever have a gold inlay/onlay on the NHS?
  • Toothsmith
    Options
    Yes it is, and yes they are if deemed 'clinically necessary'. It would be very hard to argue that a gold inlay were 'clinically necessary' - although it is a far superior restoration.
    How to find a dentist.
    2. Once you have a short-list, VISIT the practices - dont just phone. Go on the pretext of getting a Practice Leaflet.
  • Chilly77
    Options
    Great stuff, thanks for the information Toothsmith. Much appreciated!
  • Chilly77
    Options
    Just to provide a quick update, had the temporary filling removed, impression taken and a new temporary filling fitted. The new temporary filling lasted two days and then part fell out. The next lasted two hours, the next one lasted 10 hours. Should have gone back this week to have the gold onlay fitted but there was a mix up in the lab and it won't be ready until after Christmas which will actually now be mid January as I will be out of the country until then.

Needless to say part of the latest temporary filling fell out 12 hours after being fitted and I now have no time to visit the dentist before I leave the UK. I could understand it if I was eating toffee or something chewy when they fell out but this was not the case.

The dentist suggested that if the temporary filling fell out again I should use one of the dental emergency kits to patch the filling. I have done this and it has so far lasted a day. Fingers crossed I will actually be able to chew my Christmas lunch!
  • Toothsmith
    Options
    And this is supposedly the 'private' option?

You should get a real private dentist. Same price - MUCH better service. (Or it should be!)
    How to find a dentist.
  • Chilly77
    Options
    It should be a better service but the only private surgery within a 40 minute drive of my house has a shocking reputation. Just because you pay private fees does not guarantee a better service as I have found with my private health insurance and my private GP practice.
  • netty1_2
    Options
    Hi,

Just for your information if you are having the private gold option you should be getting 18ct high content gold (around 70%) and may come with a certificate from the laboratory that makes it to say so.

Worth checking as once it is fitted you will never know (especially if you are paying private fees).

Best wishes.
  • welshdent
    welshdent Posts: 1,991 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    As an "NHS" dentist ... I regularly do gold and indeed composite inlays as NHS items. Toothsmith, not sure if you have seen his stuff but ron jackson has done some fantastic work with composite inlays :) ... that said i dont think my work is quite to that standard!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport