PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

First Time Buyer's Guide To Mortgages

Options

Comments

• capcrackers
    Options
    What about a guarantor mortgage, who offers these?
  • _Andy_
    _Andy_ Posts: 11,150 Forumite
    Options
    That still isn't going to achieve borrowing more than the property value.
  • capcrackers
    Options
    But what about guarantor 100% options are they available?
  • _Andy_
    Options
    No 100% mortgages exist. You need to keep saving.
  • fru_2
    Options
    I want to buy a house. Like many people I left Uni with a student loan and was doing a post grad course. After that I rented and repaid my loan each month. Now, years later I have finished paying off my debt.
    I live with my bf abroad.
    We want to buy a house back home in the UK as I know if I dont now, I never will.

I have a job abroad, my bf offered to guarantee the mortgage for me, but I'd rather do it myself.
  • capcrackers
    Options
    Are there any 95% ltv mortgages out there?
  • Israfel
    Israfel Posts: 104 Forumite
    edited 28 September 2009 at 2:08PM
    Options
    We're trying to get a mortgage as 1st time buyers with the Halifax & they're messing us around something chronic - it's been 3 months & we still haven't got the mortgage offer.

They've had us going round & round in circles asking for more & more ridiculous information only to get to this week & they've gone back to step 1 wanting even more payslips.

We're only borrowing (or not borrowing at the mo) £97K, we're putting down around £33K, the mortgage will only cost £450 per month & our income is conservatively £33K per year.

We have no debt, no ccj's or other black marks, the last time I checked my credit rating I was on 999/1000.

I get the distinct impression that all of the taxpayers money has gone to recapitalising the banks and they have little intention of letting leave the balance sheet.

It's disgraceful.

It's depressing isn't it. I'm in a similar boat, have absolutely no debts. Perfect credit history, A good solid income and at least 10% of a potential mortgage raised and I'm really starting to worry that I'll have real trouble getting a mortgage, I've already been told by Lloyds that they won't be giving me a mortgage (despite having thousands saved with the bank and doing all my banking with them) as they only do LTV of 75% and I don't have anyone that can go guarantor or borrow me money like that. I guess it's early days but I'm not even looking at houses yet as I don't want to see one I really like only to find I can't get a mortgage for it or the rates will be through the roof
  • cons
    cons Posts: 124 Forumite
    Options
    Hi

first post here, been lurking for years i thought a signed up about 2 years ago but turns out it was MSE newsletter i signed up to :confused:

anyways

i am looking at getting onto property market.. i am 20 years old.

£15k PA, my girlfriend makes around 15k PA aswell.

Luckily for us, houseprices in the area are pretty low :T

we have seen a 2 bedroom, end terrace, gch, dbl glazing etc

offers over £58,000 ( offers over because i am in Scotland :mad:)

Can anyone see any problems with us finding a sensible mortgage, i would be putting down a 10-15% deposit

many thanks
    :T:money::T
  • _Andy_
    Options
    Hi cons and welcome to MSE :)

Assuming you both have no adverse credit etc and no huge outgoings on debts that all looks fine.
  • cons
    cons Posts: 124 Forumite
    Options
    I have a car which i am paying off around £220 per month that is direct debit and i have never missed payments

i don't know where to start from here.. do i book an appointment to view house, or do i make sure i can arrange finance with someone first
    :T:money::T
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure