any advice on buying an acoustic guitar with a £150 budget? (or thereabouts)

im buying an acoustic guitar as a present for ym other half for xmas as a suprise, he loves playing and at the moment he has a really tatty one, i know there are alot of well known brands for guitars but dont know enough myself, does anyone have anyone have any idea of the best i can get for my money please?

anything appreciated :) x

Replies

• Hi i dont know where you are in the UK but locally we have a place called Flight Case Warehouse who have an abundance of guitars and accessories. They do advertise and sell via ebay but i do not know those details. Their prices are very competitive. The service is second to none. My 12yo son wanted to take up guitar and i refused to pay over the odds for something he would lose interest in so got a cheap £20 one from Home bargains and with in the first day or so the strings went, not having a clue about how to restring etc took it in and the bloke replaced the lot free of charge and gave him some plecs to keep him going, because of their generosity we went ahead and bought a stand which cost £3 - i had seen priced in a proper music shop in Birmingham for £20 and a case for a fiver again nowhere near the costs elsewhere. They are extremely helpfull and dont make you feel intimidated at your lack of knowledge.

Phone number if your interested is 01827 60009. If they are still operating the same business hours they will close at 12pm (ish! depending on volume of customers) tomorrow and reopen Monday. HTH.
    :j Was married 2nd october 2009 to the most wonderful man possible:j

DD 1994, DS 1996 AND DS 1997

Lost 3st 5lb with Slimming world so far!!
  • In that price range I would recommend a Yamaha or a Cort. They are both well known and respected brands with a lovely sound, plus their quality control is great right out of the box. You can get a solid-top FG700MS for £139, and a solid-top Cort Earth 70 for £129.76:

http://www.chamberlainmusic.com/productdetail.asp?ProductID=FG700MS-NT

http://www.bem-music.com/list.pl?id=110354

Both of these guitars are built to last. The solid top means that they will be slightly more resonant and continue to sound better as they age.

Another good inexpensive make is Takamine, but you won't get a solid-topped model for £150. However, I have played the all-laminate Takamine G320 and I really liked it. Takamines are generally very easy to play, with a consistently good sound and build, plus are sightly "cooler" than the Yamaha or Cort, if that makes a difference. It's a bit under budget at £109, so you could buy a case or gig bag as well:

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/77974

Hope this helps.
    :happylove
  • Thought I should mention that if you are looking for something smaller than a dreadnought, the Vintage V300 is a really nice guitar with a solid top. It's won lots of awards for being the best guitar for the money. You can pick one up for £99 + shipping here:

http://www.imuso.co.uk/Acoustic-Guitars/5752-/Vintage-V300-N-Acoustic-Folk-Guitar-Natural?utm_source=googleproduct

They do make a dreadnought version (The V400) but for some reason it doesn't sound anywhere as nice.
    :happylove
  • NileNile Forumite
    14.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Hi, Martin’s asked me to post this in these circumstances: I’ve asked Board Guides to move threads if they’ll receive a better response elsewhere(please see this rule) so this post/thread has been moved to another board, where it should get more replies. If you have any questions about this policy please email [EMAIL="abuse@moneysavingexpert.com"][email protected][/EMAIL].
    Hi, I'm the Board Guide on the In my home (includes DIY) and the I wanna buy-it or do-it boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember that Board Guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to [email protected]. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

10 Dec 2007 - Led Zeppelin - I was there. :j :cool2: I wear my 50 (gold/red/white) blood donations pin badge with pride. Give blood, save a life.
  • Thought I should mention that if you are looking for something smaller than a dreadnought, the Vintage V300 is a really nice guitar with a solid top. It's won lots of awards for being the best guitar for the money. You can pick one up for £99 + shipping here:

http://www.imuso.co.uk/Acoustic-Guitars/5752-/Vintage-V300-N-Acoustic-Folk-Guitar-Natural?utm_source=googleproduct

They do make a dreadnought version (The V400) but for some reason it doesn't sound anywhere as nice.
    Yup this won a prize for best acoustic under £1000 one year. And a v.nice guitar it is.

I reccomend buying this, and paying for a 'set-up' by a guitar technician and youll be very happy.
  • My local music shop gets a "bumped and bashed" list from manufacturers- basically a list of guitars with minor cosmetic damage, the shop gets it at around 70% of the retail price.

Worth asking your local shop if they can help.
  • aileeailee Forumite
    3 Posts
    You could look at the Arts Council scheme - Take it Away. - artscouncil.org.uk/takeitaway/
    That gives you the option of an interest free loan for 9 months of up to £2000 so might give you a few more options.
  • Acoustic Guitar is very doable with that amount, just look for a good local shop, unless your looking for top quality try the net, but you will have to ship.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides