Car Parking in Edinburgh

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Scotland
13 replies 2.1K views
Anne_Marie_2Anne_Marie_2 Forumite
2.1K Posts
✭✭✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Scotland
Am staying at the Premier Inn, Lauriston Place for a few days. Anyone know the cheapest place to park the car nearby?

Replies

• funkymonkeyfunkymonkey Forumite
    524 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Uniform Washer
    ✭✭
    hmm that a dificult one - you get a discount if you park in the riego street underground carpark - but its still expensive. how well do you know edinburgh? the buses are very cheap - you might be best parking on street just outside the car park charge zone and bus it in for £1.20 - if that suits you then let me know and i will tell you of the best places to park!

There is free 2hr parking on the mound in the city centre - but its hard to find a space.
    #113 12K in 2020 Challenge #113 £17,103/£12,000 £15000
  • Anne_Marie_2Anne_Marie_2 Forumite
    2.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks Funkymonkey. Not been in Edinburgh for a while, and certainly not since they have been working on the new tram system. Have absolutely no aversion to parking outside the charge zone, and taking a bus. So any recommendations you can make would be much appreciated. Will be heading in from Forth Bridge if that's of any help.
  • edited 20 November 2009 at 3:25PM
    funkymonkeyfunkymonkey Forumite
    524 Posts
    ✭✭
    edited 20 November 2009 at 3:25PM
    ok well if it were me i would park on chesser avenue, its a very wide road and parking is not controlled - should be quite easy to get a space. see link for map

map

then i would get the 35 bus from the same road to lauriston place were the travel lodge is.

Its about 15 minutes on the bus so might not be ideal if you are going to want to use it during the day.

Is just a thought. and of course theres no aditional safety for your car - but dont they always say we are not responsible etc on signs in car parks anyway?!
    524 Posts
    ✭✭
    oh and if you go to here you can search the 35 or other bus routes that go near by.

the buses here are fantastic and only £1.20 for a journey. and yes the tram works are a nightmare but will soon be finnished! (in a couple of years lol)
    2.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Many thanks for your advice and links, very much appreciated. :A

Won't be needing the car during the day at all. Just want to dump it somewhere, and then pick it up when leaving. Will only be taking a small overnight case too, so won't have any hassle with luggage.

As you say, there is no guarantee that the car will be safe in a car park, so will risk parking on street.

Thanks again.
  • YogibearYogibear Forumite
    457 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Photogenic Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    ok well if it were me i would park on chesser avenue, its a very wide road and parking is not controlled - should be quite easy to get a space. see link for map

map

then i would get the 35 bus from the same road to lauriston place were the travel lodge is.

Its about 15 minutes on the bus so might not be ideal if you are going to want to use it during the day.

Is just a thought. and of course theres no aditional safety for your car - but dont they always say we are not responsible etc on signs in car parks anyway?!
    Chesser Avenue is controlled at the Gorgie Road end there are double red lines and a loading bay outside the bank where you get 10 mins max.
    please do not pick on me for my grammar,I left school at fifteen and worked in the building trade for 55years ,

Chalk and slate csc:D
    2.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for that Yogibear.
    524 Posts
    ✭✭
    aye but its fine at the asda end where you can get the bus ;)
  • pssopsso Forumite
    1.2K Posts
    Hi, I wonder if you can help me as well please.

We`ll be staying at the Dreghorn Junction t.lodge soon and we`re going to see Peter Pan at the Lyceum theatre. Should we leave the car and take a bus/taxi there and back or is there somewhere reasonably close for parking. Don`t know my way round Edinburgh so not very sure what to do for the best. Thanks for any help or advice.
    Fully paid up member of S.A.B.L.E.
    Stash Accumulated Beyond Life Expectancy :D

Charity knitting 2015
  • Edinburghlass_2Edinburghlass_2 Forumite
    32.7K Posts
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dreghorn TL is quite far from town and indeed quite far from a bus stop although I think the No 16 does take you from the TL to the Lyceum. Check out their website here for buses and nearest carpark.

http://www.lyceum.org.uk/webpages/find_us.php
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Tesco Clubcard rule tweaks

Be careful when converting points to Cineworld

MSE News

£148 of Ciaté nail polish for £35

Via its Advent calendar (norm £59 delivered)

MSE Deals