Partner's Bankruptcy

Options
My partner is considering bankruptcy or DRO. His debts date back to before he met me (some are years old). We have no way of paying them off in the near future, especially now that he's lost his job. Some of the debts are down to his ex-partner - joint bank a/c etc. (This is a fact, not him trying to fob me off).

However I'm a little worried as he's had letters hand delivered through the door by bailiffs, so they've obviously been here while we were out! The house is mortgaged in my name, he's not on the mortgage. I have paid for almost everything in the house but I think I'd have difficulty providing receipts etc to prove this. Can bailiffs take stuff from my home? Could my home be at risk? Could I be affected if he decided to declare bankruptcy or apply for a DRO?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
"Money never made a man happy yet, nor will it. The more a man has, the more he wants. Instead of filling a vacuum, it makes one." - Benjamin Franklin

Comments

• fiveyearplan
    fiveyearplan Posts: 10,143 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    How old are the debt and when was the last time he acknowledged them?

How long has he lived with you and does he contribute to the mortgage/home improvement/repair etc?

:j :j

• Tigger2808
    Tigger2808 Posts: 15 Forumite
    edited 20 November 2009 at 1:10AM
    Options
    How old are the debt and when was the last time he acknowledged them?

How long has he lived with you and does he contribute to the mortgage/home improvement/repair etc?

Some of the debts are over 5 years old and all before he lived with me. He has made some payments, probably not within the last 6 months, but can't now as he's out of work and I can't cover it. Yes he contributes to the household bills (when he's working).
    "Money never made a man happy yet, nor will it. The more a man has, the more he wants. Instead of filling a vacuum, it makes one." - Benjamin Franklin
  • Tigger2808
    Options
    Have any of his creditors got a CCJ, which he has not been able to pay, leading to the court issueing a warrent of exicution (assuming your in england), or is it for a council tax bill or HMRC tax or VAT demand? if not they aint bailiffs

I have to ask as this is one of the ploys of some of the DCA's out there

Thanks for the reply. He did have to go to court about one debt so poss CCJ, not really sure. It's not council tax, HMRC or VAT but we have had a letter threatening to take his car which he has now had to sell as he's out of work, and letters saying they will visit him here. Who are these people if they're not bailiffs?
  • paul01609
    Options
    prolly debt collection agents,they send the nasty letters and try scaring you in to paying
  • tigerfeet2006
    Options
    Who is the letter from? What does it actually say?
    BSCno.87
    The only stupid question is an unasked one
    Loving life as a Kernow Hippy
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills