Commute 23000mls p.a. any tax relief?

Options
I commute over 23000 miles a year for a local authority in Wales, anybody know of if there is some tax relief or money I can claim back somehow?

Cheers in advance!

Comments

• Any
    Any Posts: 7,944 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Is it business or private mileage?
  • dzug1
    dzug1 Posts: 13,535 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    What do you mean by 'commute'? If you mean home to office travel, then no, there is no tax relief.

If you travel around Wales on their business then they are probably paying you a mileage allowance - depending on how much they pay you there could be some tax relief (or possibly more tax to pay....)
  • Rolo_Tomasi
    Options
    It depends on where your permanent place of work is. If this is the offices of the local authority in Wales and all you are doing is travelling to and from these offices every day then no, there is no tax relief for this travel. If you are required to travel as part of your job, or if you are on secondment and this is a temporary place of work then tax relief may be due.
  • zzzLazyDaisy
    zzzLazyDaisy Posts: 12,497 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    That works out to less than 50 miles each way, per day, which actually isn't that unusual these days. There are no tax breaks for commuting to and from work (assuming that is what you mean?). Perhaps you could consider moving closer to work?
    I'm a retired employment solicitor. Hopefully some of my comments might be useful, but they are only my opinion and not intended as legal advice.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure