We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

York allergy tests - £250 - Good value?

Options
2»

Comments

• SillyHilly_2
    Options
    thetope - I was just wondering which healthfood chain is offering the £29 testing.

I am on a really tight budget so don't really want to pay more than I need to but then again i may need to pay for the york test as I have been up since 4am due to bad stomach cramps from IBS.

My doctor won't do an allergy test and I am really annoyed. Thay are so tight at my surgery

Thank you in advance
  • Emmzi
    Emmzi Posts: 8,658 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    You can do it yourself for FREE by eating an elimination diet.

This one is written for kids but the basic princples apply. Or google it for alternatives.

http://www.woodmed.com/DietElimRech.htm
    Debt free 4th April 2007.
    New house. Bigger mortgage. MFWB after I have my buffer cash in place.
  • Lychee
    Lychee Posts: 446 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    think this is the only mention of Usana I can find, has anyone else used their products and what they thought of it? thanks
  • Mutter_2
    Mutter_2 Posts: 1,307 Forumite
    Options
    skyrocket wrote: »
    I met a fabulous woman the other day who swore by this company. She had severe ME and could barely walk when the ME was bad and also was very overweight. After having this test she cut out all the foods and lost 5 stone and the ME is very much improved. She was in a womans magazine (Prima I think) and is going to be in a few newspapers about it.
    It changed her life. Her son has ADHD amnd she manages this through his diet as she had the test done for him too. It is a lot of money but it's a very comprehensive test and if you feel that allergies are a problem worth the money IMHO.
    Sky x
    If the "test" said she was intolerant, for example to wheat and dairy. She would then have stopped eating cakes, pastry etc, also butter, milk and cheese. No wonder she lost 5 stone!
    That of course is a guess at her food intolerences, not allergies. Or the test may simply have suggested black pepper being her intolerence. Yes, I did see a test suggesting just that. What a waste of money.

OP, these tests are quick to say what you are intolerant too, but do they suggest an alternative? E.g, if you stop eating cheese and drinking milk where are you going to get your calcium from?
    It's easy enough, if you think you have a food intolerence to keep a food diary and elimate white bread say for a week. If that makes no difference, cut out milk and so on. First though, go to your GP and tell him/her of your lethargy, they may do blood tests, they won't charge £250.00 though!
    Any of the food testing companies that use the term allergy, I wouldn't touch with a bargepole. If you had a food allergy you'd soon know about it. Sounds far more dramatic though than intolerance and must rake in far more £££'s.
  • beccam
    beccam Posts: 962 Forumite
    Options
    I would gladly put money on the majority of people testing coming out as either wheat or lactose intolerant...nearly all these tests say the same thing and to some extent all of us are wheat/lactose intolerant....they aren't really substances are bodies were ever designed to eat in big quantities.

Like others have said, speak to you GP, keep a food diary and record any symptoms aswell. Look at labels carefully and note down anything that stands out as a possible irritant.

From what you describe I would take a guess at wheat being a problem as it often cause bloating and lethargy so maybe start by eliminating that and see does it help?
  • jamtart6
    jamtart6 Posts: 8,302 Forumite
    Options
    All types of IBS are affected by cereal fibres e.g. maize, corn, any type of fibre in veg/fruit/cereals since I have excluded them I have felt tonnes better.

Had an allergy test in health shop, waste of money didn't do a thing.

:ABeing Thrifty Gifty again this year:A

• munsterforever
    Options
    does anyone know if a self test for food intolerance can be bought in a shop? i can get one off ebay for £50 but i would rather go to a shop or perhaps there is a place that can test me while i wait?

any info would be appreciated
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family