Council Tax on empty property?

Options
Our tenants moved out in May and the property has been empty since then as we are doing renovations (knocking down walls and putting a new kitchen in). It's taken so long as my OH now works away Mon - Fri but the local council has said that as they've given him 6 months 'off' from paying council tax, he now has to pay it (minus 10% for reason unknown).

Is this correct? The house in unihabitable.

Thanks

Comments

• hopefulfooluk
    Options
    Unfortunately Catt I think that's correct, once the 6 months is up the tax will become payable again.
  • 00ec25
    00ec25 Posts: 9,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    as hopefull says, 6 months limit

the 10% is because, in accordance with the hierarchy of responsibilty (explained many times on here , do a search), you are now the liable person, however, as you own another property elsewhere (ie your home where you live) then the property is question has been given the "second home" 10% discount as on one is actually resident at this time - the fact it is uninhabitable (in your eyes?) is now irrelevant as you have used up the 6 months limit

look on your council webiste, all the CT classes and the discount rates are explained there
  • Skint_Catt
    Skint_Catt Posts: 11,548 Forumite
    Options
    Fair enough. I did do a search on the councils website where the property is but went round in circles. Just trying to save money before we put it on the market!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure