cis returns

Options
moonread101
moonread101 Posts: 1 Newbie
edited 17 November 2009 at 10:29PM in Cutting tax
I keep getting charged £100 every time i return a monthly return late.is this allowed as i do not owe any MONEY, they are charging me for late returns. I am thinking of going to court as with bank charges you get charged x amount for not PAYING .Not for filling a form in

Comments

• missm29
    missm29 Posts: 340 Forumite
    Options
    we got a fine, i wrote and they agreed to waive it just this once, i always send the returns in plenty of time so god knows why it was so delayed. Do you put the large letter stamp on it? i did register to do it online but just logging in was a hassle, might have to try again.
  • Rolo_Tomasi
    Options
    Unfortunately the penalty is for failing to deliver a Return on time and its charged even if there were no payments due. You may be able to get one month canceled but its unlikely they will cancel more than that.

If you do not use sub-contractors then you need to close your cis scheme to avoid the hassle of filing Returns. If you do use them, albeit occasionally, then you have to comply with the rule like everyone else.

The Revenue is moving towards this kind of automatic penalty for all Returns. I may be a cynic but its a great way of raising money.
  • nikki2804
    nikki2804 Posts: 2,670 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Have you registered to do it online? This can save a lot of problems with late returns.

Unfortunately you will receive penalties for late returns, you do have a right to appeal this though if you feel they penalty is unjest.

If you use the online facility you do have the option to state you will not use any subcontractors for 6 months and this will update on the CIS system. As soon as you do a new return (within the 6 months) it will 'reopen' if you will, your account.

HTH, feel free to ask if you have any other questions!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure