Returning expat - tax liability

Options
Apologies if this has been answered elsewhere, but I've tried searching and have been unable to find an answer.

In November 2007 I left the UK to work abroad in a tax-free country. I have no sources of income within the UK and my salary was paid in local currency, into a local bank account.

I will be returning to the UK two years and one month (Dec 2009) after leaving. My question is quite simple: what tax am I liable for?

More precisely:

-Can my earnings between April 2007-April 2008 that were earned overseas be taxed, given I was in the UK until November?
-Can my overseas earnings from April 2008-9 be taxed as I was entirely out of the UK for the duration?
-Can my earnings from April 2009 be taxed on my return?

As background information, I had no income from anything in the UK while overseas, and I also failed to inform the tax office I was leaving the UK to work overseas on an indefinite contract, largely because I didn't realise I needed to. :o

Comments

• fengirl_2
    fengirl_2 Posts: 4,530 Forumite
    Options
    As you were out of the UK for at elast a complete tax year, then all your overseas earnings are tax free in the UK.
    You need to complete a form P85 now (downloadable from www.hmrc.gov.uk) and send it to your tax office with the P45 from Nov 07. You are probably due a refund.
    When you return, complete a form P86.
    £705,000 raised by client groups in the past 18 mths :beer:
  • DeusXM
    DeusXM Posts: 22 Forumite
    Options
    Wow....a refund? This just gets better! Thanks!
  • bluejellyfish
    Options
    Fengirl is right, you are almost certainly due a refund. Try fill out the P85 as accurately as possible. Make sure you tick the box to say you were leaving for a complete year and stress that you have no UK income whatsoever. Hopefully HMRC will then calculate the refund for you. If not you may have to complete a self assesment form which may be a little tricky.

You might aslo be required to complete self assessment for 2009-10.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure