Level of wealth when it makes sense to move to Switzerland?

Options
I can't be the only person on here who thinks about moving abroad to a country with either a better quality of life or lower taxation.

I've read that you can apply for Swiss citizenship if you can prove that you will earn $60,000 from work or investments. Other websites say that it is something to do only if you are very wealthy and want to retire.

With 1/2mill (50% non-property) should I be contemplating a life by Lake Geneva at all?

cheers for any thoughts of musings

Comments

• p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,958 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I
    I've read that you can apply for Swiss citizenship if you can prove that you will earn $60,000 from work or investments.

I don't know the validity of that statement but assuming that it is true....

$60,000 (assuming you mean US dollars) is around £40,000.
    I think you're going to struggle to prove that you can get that sort of annual income by investing £500,000 - you'd need to be getting a return of at least 8%

.... or do you intend looking for a job out there ?
  • noh
    noh Posts: 5,802 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I don't think your level of income is high enough for the move to be advantageous.
    Lots of info here:-
    http://switzerland.isyours.com/e/residency/eu/index.html
  • pelirocco
    pelirocco Posts: 8,274 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Info have enough income to move , then i assume you would have a pretty good quality of life where ever you live?
    Lower taxation tends to mean lower benefits ( and I dont mean social security ) . Plus Switzerland has a lot of 'laws' that could prove annoying from what i have read
    Vuja De - the feeling you'll be here later
  • Fulham_Mark
    Options
    I'd be working, I work with people who have relocated to canada, Australia and so on.

I did look at switzerlandisyours. I was worried that they were painting a very bright picture of the application process since they make money from helping you with it.

ok, so it looks like it is only worth it for much richer peopel. Thanks anyway!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure