Tax free ?

Options
I have been approached about a job contracting abroad for a year, but I am unsure if I will have to pay tax ? I have looked around the internet for advice but I am finding the information to be confusing and conflicting.

Is anyone else in this situation that could give advice ? or does anyone know the tax laws and able to explain them ?? I have found the following on a government website, but not sure how or if it applies to me ?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Working wholly outside the UK for a UK employer

If you're:
resident and ordinarily resident, you'll pay tax on all your earnings
resident but not ordinarily resident, you'll only pay tax on earnings you bring into the UK

It makes no difference whether or not you're domiciled in the UK.

Comments

• fengirl_2
    fengirl_2 Posts: 4,530 Forumite
    Options
    If you are out of the UK for a complete tax year, ie 6 April to 5 April, then you would be reggarded as non resident and be exempt from UK tax on your overseas earnings in the UK. If you are not out of the UK for a complete tax year, then you are liable to tax on your UK earnings in the UK, probably with credit given for any overseas tax paid.
    £705,000 raised by client groups in the past 18 mths :beer:
  • saur0
    Options
    So I assume I would need to have my wages paid into an off shore account then ?
  • Johnhowell
    Options
    No, not necessary.
  • Cook_County
    Options
    You may still owe NIC and/or foreign taxes and social security. Where are you going?
  • saur0
    Options
    Well the job isn't confirmed, but its working in the Middle East for an IT company, it would involve moving around quite a bit troubleshooting various sites in different country's. I am not overly concerned about brining the money back in to the UK, I guess I'll cross that bridge when I come to it, they have given me a daily rate for the work but not much other information at the moment. I'm just trying to work out if the job is worth it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure