🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

I want to be a counsellor

Options
Mess_2
Mess_2 Posts: 39 Forumite
edited 17 November 2009 at 11:07AM in Employment, jobseeking & training
HI everyone I need some help and advice. I am currently doing a counselling course and have been told that the more experience I have the better change I have of getting a job in that sector.
I am only 25 but feel like this is something that I want to build as my career. I have been working with children since I was 16, so I want to maybe go on to counsel children and teenagers.

Is anyone is familiar with this sector and has any ideas or advice that might help me? All comments would be most helpfull. :D:D

:j This site has changed my life :j
Mess :p

Comments

• Oldernotwiser
    Options
    Are you doing the level 1 Counselling course and does your college offer the higher level courses?

You might find these sites a useful place to start your research.

http://www.bacp.co.uk/information/education/careersincounselling.php

http://www.prospects.ac.uk/p/types_of_job/counsellor_job_description.jsp
  • Mess_2
    Options
    No its a home based course. I work full time so I can't afford to go to college full time and vice versa.
  • Oldernotwiser
    Oldernotwiser Posts: 37,425 Forumite
    Options
    Mess wrote: »
    No its a home based course. I work full time so I can't afford to go to college full time and vice versa.

Many counselling courses are part time and people do them whilst working.

You can't qualify as a counsellor by distance learning although you can do an introductory course, as you are at present. If you could give a rough idea of your geographical area and qualifications I could see what courses are available to you.
  • Mess_2
    Options
    Many counselling courses are part time and people do them whilst working.

You can't qualify as a counsellor by distance learning although you can do an introductory course, as you are at present. If you could give a rough idea of your geographical area and qualifications I could see what courses are available to you.

I see. I wasn't told any of this when I started the course. In fact I was told that no qualifications were need it because they rely more on personal experience than anything else. I need to work full time as like everybody else I have a debt to clear, so working part-time will not help me at all.

Thanks for your help.
  • Oldernotwiser
    Oldernotwiser Posts: 37,425 Forumite
    Options
    Mess wrote: »
    I see. I wasn't told any of this when I started the course. In fact I was told that no qualifications were need it because they rely more on personal experience than anything else. I need to work full time as like everybody else I have a debt to clear, so working part-time will not help me at all.

Thanks for your help.

I didn't suggest that you work part time! Many people work full time and study in the evenings; colleges are full every evening with people doing just this.
  • CHARDONNAY_3
    Options
    Counselling was something I considered as a career a while ago.

Altho it isn't essential to have counselling qualifications at present, you would struggle to find work / be taken seriously without them.

I did an NCFE level 2 which took 12 wks & level 3 which took 30 wks at my local college & I volunteered with a mental health charity throughout. This was as a befriender not a counsellor as most charities wont even take you on as a voluntary counsellor unless you're qualified.

I then considered taking a foundation degree in counselling, as this is the next step to qualifying but after alot of research I discovered that jobs are few & far between, most are part time & competition is fierce as places are inundated with voluntary counsellors who work for free so there's no need for them to pay staff.

In my opinion you would probably be better off looking at jobs that involve using counselling skills as part of another job - anything from customer service to support work to nursing etc.

Also I wouldn't spend alot of money on distance learning courses as this is 1 time I don't really think it is suitable for this subject area, as the courses I went on were very practical - group discussions, role plays etc.
  • eamon
    eamon Posts: 2,319 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If you do a search in this forum you will find older posts on this very topic that have more information. An ex GF was training to be a counsellor and it was time consuming and expensive. Though the process may now have changed.
  • Isnt it a shame in the current climate, that its difficult to get employed in this area? I was in banking four years back, and customers used to go to their bank for advice. Im pretty sure that this doesnt happen much these days, due to lack of trust etc? So if you need debt advice and you're not in a serious situation. Where do you go for help?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Childline took me on as a voluntary counsellor with no previous training or experience. They train you although it is their own in house training you can not set up practice as a counsellor in your own right afterwards.
  • Bunnie1982
    Bunnie1982 Posts: 1,671 Forumite
    Options
    I did the NCFE Level 2 course during the evenings, it was going back to 2004 and during this time I was looking at doing Youth Work. I think the course itself has given me better listening skills and made me more self aware, and although I didn't pursue a career in counselling afterwards, I felt the course was very beneficial.

I didn't even realise that you could do a Counselling course as distant learning. I valued the classroom environment as we did a lot of scenario based work and a lot of self awareness work, I couldn't imagine not doing it this way as I actually gained hands on experience.

Have you got anywhere local you could volunteer for like Samaritans, Relate etc. to help you gain experience, you never know they may even offer to train you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport