How long does it take?

Hope I have posted this in the right place this time?
We have applied for our banding to be reduced, we are currently in Band C, we have had an assessment but this was about 4 weeks ago, does any one know how long it normally takes? Our council is Sefton

Comments

• Just had a reply from valuation people, they have not agreed with my claim that we are in the wrong band (C), two page letter explaining it all but the last statement says that they take on board my comments that the 2 streets that run adacent to ours may be in the wrong band (B) and they will be investigating it, oops!!!!!!
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,510
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    When I worked in VOA taxpayers were always complaining that they were overassessed because similar/identical houses in lower band. It never ever occurred to them that it could be that the houses in lower band were underassessed.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • I thought I had a case for a reassessment, our house had 3 bedrooms and no bathroom, it was built in 1892,so the owners split the biggest bedroom in to two and built a bathroom. when we first moved in the bathroom was very small so we relocated the bathroom to the back bedroom, this was in 1987, so I was surprised they knocked us back, I really did think we would get it, they actually stated when they came to survey the house that they had our house down as a 3 bedroom.
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,510
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Some of my former colleagues worked on the basis that a Victorian terraced house with 2 beds and FF bath was same value as similar size 3 bed but with GF bath. In one area of town where there is a large Victorian development (better than the other 2 large developments), terraced houses are either B or C. From memory 91 sale prices tended to span £49K - £56K, so very difficult to decide correct bands.

Although at first glance you would think there is very little difference between one Vict terr and the next, very few were in fact identical in size, or even built by same builder, so the Bs in the next street to yours may be correct.

Again from memory and this will also depend on the area of the country 1987 prices were about equal to those in 1991, so if you paid more than £52K for house in 1987, Band C could easily be correct.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • Thanks for that information, it was worth a try, we actually bought the house in 1986 for 16000 pounds, that included the origanal gas lamps and black out screens in each room and the one twin socket in the back room. We have done a lot of work on it and I think you are right thinking about it, there are approx 80 houses in our road and I think there are only 20 the same.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure