🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Care work - Would you do it?

Options
2»

Comments

• Serenity
    Serenity Posts: 2,814 Forumite
    edited 13 November 2009 at 3:52PM
    Options
    I really really really would not be able to do that job. It is frustrating as one of the local elderly care homes has had two personal carer roles advertised since I have been unemployed and one of my friends works as a cleaner there and says the turnover is high. I asked her if I would be able to do it. She told me bluntly no - weak constitution lol. I wish I could as I really hate not working but these are the only jobs I have not applied for which I've been qualified for.
    In the summer I was working as a housemaid in a hotel and jeez the state of some of the toilets. And some rooms with sick in (coincidently the rooms with the large number of empty bottles/cans). I coped but caught gastro after cleaning sick once (so did my colleague who I was working with) - that wasn't from a party room that was from an elderly coach trip. Anyway just seeing the stuff left after was enough to make me gag and puke sometimes. I can't help it. Luckily we worked in pairs and my colleauge was very nice and if she saw something foul she would do her best to get rid before I saw it. Cannot imagine what I would be like dealing with the actual person at the same time.
    Another point - I have a weak immune system (not for any medical condition so not actually been diagnosed but it seems that way). I catch EVERYTHING which would not be good for me or the residents.
    Oh and also I am not a people person and am rather shy so would probably not be the best company for the person I am meant to be caring for - but that is something I could get around.
    Basically both the times these jobs have come up I have seriously debated going for it but just know I can't.

I know friends who work in elderly care and mental health care and I have so much respect for them!
  • honeyD
    honeyD Posts: 855 Forumite
    Options
    Yes, I would. I am actually applying for care jobs at the moment.
    I qualified in childcare but Im kind of wanting to head in more of a care assistant direction so this is what Im looking at mostly.
    I find there are a lot of care jobs going at the minute, however they mostly require experience with hoists or your own transport which is something I dont have so rules me out of quite a few of them. I would have no problem working with elderly.
    When I told the advisor at the jobcentre I would like to look at care work she tried to put me off but someone has to do it, right? And Im willing so why not!:o
    Weight loss November 09-January 10: [STRIKE]13lbs[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]20lbs[/STRIKE] 27lbs! :j
  • DVardysShadow
    DVardysShadow Posts: 18,949 Forumite
    Options
    This thread shows that there are some difficult aspects to this sort of work. As a carer, you are very vulnerable to a single false accusation.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • clairec79
    clairec79 Posts: 2,512 Forumite
    Options
    Have done it in the past, now qualified but still do the hands on care - just with more paperwork thrown on top
  • wontfallforit
    Options
    I'm curious really, I'm forever seeing care assistant jobs that offer free training and a step into a care career but don't see many people apply for them?

I know it's not the most glamorous job in the world but surely helping people and showing a bit of love to people who probably don't get much on a day to day basis counts for something?

What puts you off this type of job? I know the pay isn't the greatest but we're in a recession at the moment so surely jobs like these should be getting snapped up :confused:

I know a few people who do it, of various ages (though all female, which usually seems to be the case). One of my friends grew up in a care environment (by which I mean her parents owned a care home), and she went straight into it after school. Having done it for 10 years now, nothing fazes her, from the most extreme disabilities and/or behavioural disorders, to the more delicate aspects of male and female bodily functions. It doesn't pay her very much, but she's happy. She's a true professional.

I know another woman (older) who has done it for quite some time, and doesn't like it. The reason why she's stuck with it is because basically the people in her care (in her case, elderly/infirm people) have become quite attached to her over the years, and have quite extreme reactions to other carers when she takes holidays/sick leave, etc. By which I mean anything from foul language to actual physical abuse (kicking, spitting, the lot). Just to point out, the elderly people she works with are mentally sound, but many have attitude problems and are exceptionally stuck in their ways. Then again, some of the people she cares for are absolute dears, so I guess that also contributes to her having stuck by them for so long.

I'm not sure if I could do it. I'd certainly give it a go, but I'm not sure if I could deal with the emotional (& other) issues that it brings. Hats off to the people who stick with it so long.

Like any job, there are pros and cons. If you're strong of mind and willing to give it a go, what's to lose? Good luck x
    £1 / 50p 2011 holiday flight + hotel expenses = £98.50600

HSBC 8% 12mth regular savings = £80 out of a maximum remaining allowance of £2500

"3 months' salary" reserve = £00 / £3600 :eek:
  • kevin2oo9
    Options
    I recently joined the nurse staff bank and its been quite good.I did all my training like manual handling & violence and aggression and have been been in care for the elderly wards but mostly people with mental health.Most mental health patients are self dependable so mostly supervising.I probably will do my training eventually but for 7quid a hour I ain't complaining
  • ilikedrawing
    Options
    I have a lot of respect for carers, whether paid or not. It's not something i could do, i haven't got the confidence or the general common sense!
  • Rockporkchop
    Options
    I couldn't do it, I am too squeamish and also get upset quite easily when it comes to people in pain or suffering. I have the utmost respect and admiration for the people who do care work and they do not get paid anywhere near enough as far as I am concerned.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport