Debate House Prices

Since the Forum relaunch, in order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non MoneySaving matters are no longer permitted. This includes wider debates about general house prices, the economy and politics. As a result, we have taken the decision to keep this board permanently closed, but it remains viewable for users who may find some useful information in it. Thank you for your understanding.

UK home repossessions up in Q3, arrears down-CML

Comments

• ruggedtoast
    ruggedtoast Posts: 9,819 Forumite
    How do you assume the government would pay for this?
    Investing in social housing & raising the minimum wage.

I presume by borrowing billions of pounds, raising taxes and cutting public spending :rolleyes:

Which would produce a worthwhile lasting, sustainable social and economic benefit.

If you cant see the difference between investing in people, and infrastructure for people, and pi$$ing billions up the wall so that some bods in the City can do a few extra lines in the bathroom of Stringfellows then I dont know what.
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Forumite Posts: 89,546
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Emy1501 wrote: »
    But does GB though? Lets not forget he eradicated boom and bust:rolleyes: Gave us light touch regulation which meant that we had to invest more money into RBS than any other bank in the world has received. Forced a well run bank in Lloyds to buy a bankrupt bank in HBOS therefore forcing it into near bankrupcy.

The voters will decide next year.

Events are dictating policy. The Government is not setting policy. As there is no ammunition left in the locker that can impact the economy. That's why we are heading into unknown terroritory.

My immediate concern is the lack of policy now. Though thats probably due to the fact that the economy is very fragile and could easily spiral downwards again.
  • Thrugelmir
    Forumite
    How do you assume the government would pay for this?
    Investing in social housing & raising the minimum wage.

Raising the minmum wage and freezing benefit levels.

No cost to the taxpayer. ;)
  • IveSeenTheLight
    IveSeenTheLight Forumite Posts: 13,322 Forumite
    Thrugelmir wrote: »
    Raising the minmum wage and freezing benefit levels.

No cost to the taxpayer. ;)

Simply by freezing benefits they'll be able to increase minimum wage and readjust the social housing balance.

Fcuk me if it's that easy then it'll solve most of our discussions on here ;)
    :wall:
    What we've got here is....... failure to communicate.
    Some men you just can't reach.
  • Really2
    Really2 Forumite Posts: 12,398 Forumite
    Discussing QE before the event, and factoring it into actual predictions are somewhat largely different circumstances.

What you can't plan the extent of future events and how they will effect things.

I am sure I said that earlier today and you were sure that meant not having a clue.
    You never explained to me what a new government would do and what interest rates would do? but you were fairly certain they would lower house prices.

So how have you factored these in?
  • Thrugelmir
    Forumite
    Simply by freezing benefits they'll be able to increase minimum wage and readjust the social housing balance.

Fcuk me if it's that easy then it'll solve most of our discussions on here ;)

No, fund the adjustment. :rolleyes:

Social housing has no connection to the minimum wage.

Affordable housing is a different issue. That can be tackled in many ways. Some of which wouldn't appease those looking to profit from the broader residential property market. ;)
  • IveSeenTheLight
    IveSeenTheLight Forumite Posts: 13,322 Forumite
    Thrugelmir wrote: »
    No, fund the adjustment. :rolleyes:

Social housing has no connection to the minimum wage.

Affordable housing is a different issue. That can be tackled in many ways. Some of which wouldn't appease those looking to profit from the broader residential property market. ;)

I was being a little pedantic as you had chosen to ignore ruggedtoasts original statement to sort out minimum wage and social housing :rolleyes:
    Some good from government intervention would be the government investing in social housing and reversing the right to buy fiasco, building affordable housing, reforming tenancy laws and raising the minimum wage; to help the army of working poor Labour are meant to care about but do nothing for.
    What we've got here is....... failure to communicate.
    Some men you just can't reach.
  • StevieJ
    StevieJ Forumite Posts: 20,172
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Emy1501 wrote: »
    Isn't that what GB and AD are doing though? Many economists have laughed at AD's predictions for growth and his plans for paying off the debt we are incurring.

Lets not forget GB back in 2008 was pouring scorn on anyone who told us we were about to enter a recession even though it was pretty obvious even to me.

Then again I have laughed at many economists icon7.gif
    'Just think for a moment what a prospect that is. A single market without barriers visible or invisible giving you direct and unhindered access to the purchasing power of over 300 million of the worlds wealthiest and most prosperous people' Margaret Thatcher
  • lemonjelly
    lemonjelly Forumite Posts: 8,014
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    Just had an email from communities & local government.

Regarding the mortgage rescue scheme (which I mentioned earlier) there are some stas included on it.
    http://www.communities.gov.uk/documents/housing/xls/1380438.xls

As you can see, out of 1111 applications to the scheme, only 74 progressed onto it for one reason or another.

I'd argue that this highlights the assertions I made earlier in this thread.
    It's getting harder & harder to keep the government in the manner to which they have become accustomed.
  • Thrugelmir
    Forumite
    lemonjelly wrote: »
    Just had an email from communities & local government.

Regarding the mortgage rescue scheme (which I mentioned earlier) there are some stas included on it.
    http://www.communities.gov.uk/documents/housing/xls/1380438.xls

As you can see, out of 1111 applications to the scheme, only 74 progressed onto it for one reason or another.

I'd argue that this highlights the assertions I made earlier in this thread.

A combination of low interest rates and interest only mortgages is supporting these mortgage holders. Longer term interest rates will rise and the mortgage debt either has to be repaid or refinanced by a new borrower. So the problem has gone away merely defered into the future.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 338.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 248.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 447.5K Spending & Discounts
  • 230.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 600.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 171K Life & Family
  • 243.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure