bullying at workplace.

Options
OK,

For the whole of last week of training at a warehouse I experienced verbal harassment. I kept complaining. After my admission to use bad language I was given a probation and a copy of all the statements.

On Monday I gave my statement and said my account. I also said that statements made by others are false, because they denied any conversation or changed what I said to them.

Basically what I would like to know is how to get evidence of the harassment if they are shouting across, or whistling, or lack of witnesses. They could not see on CCTV any evidence for the harassment. Also I think the majority are the same cowards who can't say things to my face or know what would happen to them if caught in the warehouse. With the exception of a few.

In my statement I accepted termination of my contract for my actions. They then said if it meant resigning. I agreed that it is my resignation.

So could anyone tell me the procedure to make a complaint of verbal harassment and what to do next time, because I might have messed up somewhere.

Thanks.

Comments

• JUNIOR
    JUNIOR Posts: 297 Forumite
    Options
    Well next time :rolleyes:

It might be an idea to follow the greivence procedures within your workplace , if you have any gripe to the way your treated raise a greivence in writing to your HR/ management , they must reply !! in a certain time frame and investigate the complaint.

I would however contact ACAS http://www.acas.org.uk/index.aspx?articleid=1410 for advise onthis matter

At least you wont be harrassed anymore , never mind we live and learn ;)
  • juliescot
    juliescot Posts: 1,433 Forumite
    Options
    raj8 wrote: »
    OK,

For the whole of last week of training at a warehouse I experienced verbal harassment. I kept complaining. You need to make sure then when you complain you make a formal complaint and not just a verbal one to a manager or supervisor. After my admission to use bad language I was given a probation and a copy of all the statements. Does this mean that you swore at colleagues and they complained about this? What statements and from whom?

On Monday I gave my statement and said my account. I also said that statements made by others are false, because they denied any conversation or changed what I said to them. Your colleagues colluded to make your allegations seem false?

Basically what I would like to know is how to get evidence of the harassment if they are shouting across, or whistling, or lack of witnesses. If you make a formal complaint then your employer should have proper procedures to investigate. This does not mean that they will be able to prove anything but it will let people know that the management are taking this seriously They could not see on CCTV any evidence for the harassment. Also I think the majority are the same cowards who can't say things to my face or know what would happen to them if caught in the warehouse. The majority of your colleagues do you mean? With the exception of a few.

In my statement I accepted termination of my contract for my actions. What exactly were your actions? They then said if it meant resigning. I agreed that it is my resignation.

So could anyone tell me the procedure to make a complaint of verbal harassment and what to do next time, because I might have messed up somewhere.

Thanks.

Hopefully there will not be a next time
  • SailorSam
    SailorSam Posts: 22,754 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Unless you can come up with a witness to back you, there is very little you're going to be able to do.
    It's a case of two people with different stories and no way of telling which is true.
    Liverpool is one of the wonders of Britain,
    What it may grow to in time, I know not what.

Daniel Defoe: 1725.
  • raj8
    Options
    For the whole of last week of training at a warehouse I experienced verbal harassment. I kept complaining. You need to make sure then when you complain you make a formal complaint and not just a verbal one to a manager or supervisor.
    I did but was told to complain to the teamleader/training leader. However I saw the section manager that interviewed me and things started from there.

After my admission to use bad language I was given a probation and a copy of all the statements. Does this mean that you swore at colleagues and they complained about this? What statements and from whom? I swore at workers on the floor who were abusive to me. They did not complain about this. Their statements said they did not have any conversation with me, and denied any accountability.

On Monday I gave my statement and said my account. I also said that statements made by others are false, because they denied any conversation or changed what I said to them. Your colleagues colluded to make your allegations seem false? It is possible. Things that I said in conversation with the team leaders were changed to make me appear worse.

Basically what I would like to know is how to get evidence of the harassment if they are shouting across, or whistling, or lack of witnesses. If you make a formal complaint then your employer should have proper procedures to investigate. This does not mean that they will be able to prove anything but it will let people know that the management are taking this seriously Eventually I did make a complaint. Then because of my admission to bad language I got suspended.

They could not see on CCTV any evidence for the harassment. Also I think the majority are the same cowards who can't say things to my face or know what would happen to them if caught in the warehouse. The majority of your colleagues do you mean? I wouldn't even call them that. I don't even know them because I was only there for a week.With the exception of a few.

In my statement I accepted termination of my contract for my actions. What exactly were your actions? Well verbal aggression and rudeness. Also because of poor performance scores I felt it would not be good to continue. They then said if it meant resigning. I agreed that it is my resignation.

Thanks.
    I might as wll tell you lot it was also a case of homophobic namecalling from just about any person over there who saw or noticed me. And even if the witnesses did hear, they didn't do anything to help. So although I am glad I left, I hate them all.:mad:

Also, the probation meeting was yesterday and I resigned from that day.
  • juliescot
    juliescot Posts: 1,433 Forumite
    Options
    For the whole of last week of training at a warehouse I experienced verbal harassment. I kept complaining. You need to make sure then when you complain you make a formal complaint and not just a verbal one to a manager or supervisor.
    I did but was told to complain to the teamleader/training leader. However I saw the section manager that interviewed me and things started from there. Did they start a formal investigation then?

After my admission to use bad language I was given a probation and a copy of all the statements. Does this mean that you swore at colleagues and they complained about this? What statements and from whom? I swore at workers on the floor who were abusive to me. Did you swear before or after making a formal complaint? They did not complain about this. Their statements said they did not have any conversation with me, and denied any accountability. If no-one complained about your swearing why was it mentioned?

On Monday I gave my statement and said my account. I also said that statements made by others are false, because they denied any conversation or changed what I said to them. Your colleagues colluded to make your allegations seem false? It is possible. Things that I said in conversation with the team leaders were changed to make me appear worse. The team leader altered your statement when you reported things? Did you mention this as well?

Basically what I would like to know is how to get evidence of the harassment if they are shouting across, or whistling, or lack of witnesses. If you make a formal complaint then your employer should have proper procedures to investigate. This does not mean that they will be able to prove anything but it will let people know that the management are taking this seriously Eventually I did make a complaint. How long did it go on before you complained? Then because of my admission to bad language I got suspended. Who first mentioned the bad language? If you were accused of using bad language then you should have gone through a disciplinary procedure. Did you?

They could not see on CCTV any evidence for the harassment. Also I think the majority are the same cowards who can't say things to my face or know what would happen to them if caught in the warehouse. The majority of your colleagues do you mean? I wouldn't even call them that. I don't even know them because I was only there for a week. People you did not know but who worked in the same place as you were abusing you? With the exception of a few.

In my statement I accepted termination of my contract for my actions. What exactly were your actions? Well verbal aggression and rudeness. Also because of poor performance scores I felt it would not be good to continue. You were aggressive to other members of staff and under performing. Sounds like it was as well you left.They then said if it meant resigning. I agreed that it is my resignation.

Are you seriously suggesting that nearly everyone who encountered you indulged in homophobic name calling? You should have dealt with that on day one.

Could it, although hurtful, been construed as "shop floor" banter by other workers? That does not in anyway excuse it but if it was as prevalent as you suggest then I think you should have been highlighting it to your superiors as soon as possible.
  • tsimehC
    tsimehC Posts: 763 Forumite
    Options
    So although I am glad I left, I hate them all.:mad:

You know that you're actually regretting the fact that you lost your job based on the fact that you bothered to post your eye-swelling story here. :/
  • hothothot_3
    hothothot_3 Posts: 4,646 Forumite
    Options

Basically what I would like to know is how to get evidence of the harassment if they are shouting across, or whistling, or lack of witnesses. They could not see on CCTV any evidence for the harassment. Also I think the majority are the same cowards who can't say things to my face or know what would happen to them if caught in the warehouse. With the exception of a few.

You write down 'exactly' word for word what was said.
    Depending on what was said would cover different employment laws.
    Regardless, you would then write a letter detailing your grievance, and requesting your employer starts the grievance procedure.
    You attend a meeting, answer any questions required to be investigated.
    You receive the findings of the investigation.
    The problem here is the fear that witnesses "cant remember" what happened conveniently.
    The reality is that a tribunal works under a different burden of evidence then a criminal court which requires proof beyond reasonable doubt. It requires lesser burden of proof, on the 'balance of probabilities'.
    Youll be amazed at how people all of a sudden recall the correct version of events when required to do so by a judge.
    Having previous experience in this field, I like witnesses who 'dont recall' anything. Either that means the employer failed to do a swift investigation and are guilty of not dealing with a harrassment case satisfactory or it means that when you 'absolutely remember' what was said, and they 'cannot remember' - the balance of probabilty then falls in your favour - that your version of events is the most accurate.

In future, keep your cool, being a hot head doesnt help (im sure you realise this now).

Hope this helps you in future.
  • raj8
    raj8 Posts: 4 Newbie
    edited 10 November 2009 at 8:38PM
    Options
    JulieScot

Did they start a formal investigation then?
    Yes because they got the section managers involved. Each time it happened and I complained I was seperated and interviewed.

Did you swear before or after making a formal complaint? Before, but then the abuse got worse. So I complained.

If no-one complained about your swearing why was it mentioned?I guess I realised that they would say I was rude to them for no reason. I also think I was too honest.;)

The team leader altered your statement when you reported things? Did you mention this as well? The comment I made were 'twisted' and made to sound like a I threatened them. I did mention this on the statement and when interviewed.

Who first mentioned the bad language? If you were accused of using bad language then you should have gone through a disciplinary procedure. Did you? I admitted to using bad language in response to the verbal harassment. There were CCTV on that floor. So I decided to own up in case they found anything on me. Yes I was put on probation starting from Friday due to the fact I admited on Wednesday. Yesterday
    morning I had the meeting.

People you did not know but who worked in the same place as you were abusing you?Yes, for reasons of the way I look, dress, talk and walk and any other reason they could think of.

You were aggressive to other members of staff and under performing. Sounds like it was as well you left. I told them that because of the stress and adrenaline, I was unable to concentrate. Also the equitpment was rubbish.

Are you seriously suggesting that nearly everyone who encountered you indulged in homophobic name calling? You should have dealt with that on day one. I was afraid, I was nervous. I felt embarassed to ask. Also I wasn't sure if anyone would help me as they said or did nothing, which was proved to me on the Monday when I heard more comments about me in front of witnesses.

Could it, although hurtful, been construed as "shop floor" banter by other workers? That does not in anyway excuse it but if it was as prevalent as you suggest then I think you should have been highlighting it to your superiors as soon as possible.
    I overheard one worker saying to another to becareful as if you call someone a !!!!!! you don't know if they are one. But that plonker still continued.
    I detailed wha I could in a 5 page statement. Whether they are serious or what is up to them. Each has their individual thought but if they agree that the abuse is justified based on their 'beliefs' then I can't do anything.
    Having previous experience in this field, I like witnesses who 'dont recall' anything. Either that means the employer failed to do a swift investigation and are guilty of not dealing with a harrassment case satisfactory or it means that when you 'absolutely remember' what was said, and they 'cannot remember' - the balance of probabilty then falls in your favour - that your version of events is the most accurate.
    It was a personal chat with no witnesses. So I don't know what could happen.

You know that you're actually regretting the fact that you lost your job based on the fact that you bothered to post your eye-swelling story here. :/
    Well you try being unemployed for 2 years and then getting one for a week! :rotfl:
  • raj8
    Options
    Ok I need some advice on how or when I will get my p45 and anything that I need to do before I find another job. I did get another p45 from jobcentre for nov and I gave the p45 for oct to the workplace.

Is there anything that I need to do before I wash my hands of the workplace?

I will not put this training on my CV.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,105 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You'll get your P45 when they send it to you. That may be after a month, if you missed the payroll run. You can phone and ask when it will come.

If you don't have one before starting a new job. ask for a P46. HMRC will chase the previous employer for a P45 eventually.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport