stuck in a rut..any advice would be good

Options
Thought i would come on and see if anyone can give me any advice or help. I am having to currently apply for my temp job (of 3 years) to go permenant. I know a lot of other people have applied, so need to look for other work as I also know more qualified/experienced people than me have applied.

I currently work with people with learning disabilities in a management role, but feel really bored with this line of work (this is my 14th year working with this client group)

I feel it is time to move on anyway from my current job, and only applying for the job security. I cannot find any jobs within the field that interest me, i think due to my general levels of boredom and disenchantment.

I would love to do something different, but really don't know what to do. has anyone got any good ideas of work that I might have transferable skills for? At the moment I feel that I am destined to stay in this line of work till i retire, and I can think of nothing more depressing at the moment.

Any tips, help, advice, general words of 'get over it' would be greatly appreciated

thanks

Comments

• Oldernotwiser
    Oldernotwiser Posts: 37,425 Forumite
    Options
    What sort of qualifications do you have?
  • SueC_2
    SueC_2 Posts: 1,673 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    You say you are bored with your line of work. Are there any elements which you still enjoy? Perhaps there are jobs that contain more of these elements, and less of the elements you find tedious.
  • kai666
    kai666 Posts: 1,429 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    What sort of qualifications do you have?

Without giving away too much of my identity, in case my current employees use this site, I have a degree and masters degree, which although relevant, I do not (directly) use either in my role
    SueC wrote: »
    You say you are bored with your line of work. Are there any elements which you still enjoy? Perhaps there are jobs that contain more of these elements, and less of the elements you find tedious.

I think the one of the main things is that I have got bored and that it's all become a bit routine, and there is not really a promotion route I want to follow. I'm trying to think how to say the things i like without giving myself away, as it would be really obvious who I am to people that know me at work if they read this!

I will have to have a think and come back on that one!
  • SueC_2
    SueC_2 Posts: 1,673 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    kai666 wrote: »
    Without giving away too much of my identity, in case my current employees use this site, I have a degree and masters degree, which although relevant, I do not (directly) use either in my role

I think the one of the main things is that I have got bored and that it's all become a bit routine, and there is not really a promotion route I want to follow. I'm trying to think how to say the things i like without giving myself away, as it would be really obvious who I am to people that know me at work if they read this!

I will have to have a think and come back on that one!

I appreciate your concerns re. privacy, but you're really not giving us a lot to work with here!
  • Oldernotwiser
    Oldernotwiser Posts: 37,425 Forumite
    Options
    The obvious suggestion, from the little information you've given us, is to look at moving into education/training for people working in this sector. In fact it's so obvious that I assume you've already thought of this.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure